"No Other Country"

A/N I had to write a short story that is exactly 250 words with the prompt: No other country. hope you enjoy!

Written: 14.11.18

The 'Yin' in 'Yang'

The force of my punches sent tremors through the walls. A grinding screech could be heard as sharp, talon-like nails left trails of red embers into the impenetrable wall. Panting, I continued my brutal assault on the metal barrier. Chains rattled from outside, shaking with every attack.

My body wracked with sobs, cries of pure anguish escaped past quivering lips and filled the tiny enclosure. The punches became sloppier and eventually stopped altogether. I slumped against the wall in silent defeat. With my back pressed against the cold metal of the confinement, I stared into the unwavering darkness. Tears continued to race down sunken cheeks. Like glass, they shattered on the empty floor.

I brought my knees up to my chest, giving me a little bit more space in the room. My horns grazed the ceiling, just barely fitting in the cramped space. I rubbed my red-rimmed eyes of any remaining tears. Maybe it's better this way I thought. Every other place is better than here, because...

"No other country has me"

I damned this country to a cruel fate the moment I was born. I fulfilled my responsibilities. I served karma to the wicked, taught the naïve and tamed pride. I've tried to help, but devils were never supposed to fly. Only angels. And I'm no angel.

As my little prison trembled and the walls parted showering light onto my bony frame, I knew that nothing mattered now, because soon this country will no longer have me.

Nobody will.