Chapter Ten: A Carrow's Cruelty

***Zeno***

Professor Snape had not been seen for months since the day of Dumbledore's death, so naturally Zeno was quite astounded when it was announced that the new Headmaster of Hogwarts was the runaway spy himself. The Great Hall, unlike the previous year, lacked its usual cheer as many of the students waited solemnly for the Headmaster's speech. Zeno wasn't the only one who had noticed the change in staff, all of the students kept sending discreet glances towards the front of the Hall where two hostile-looking strangers stood beside Severus Snape. On the right stood a squat, lumpy man with a lopsided leer and a pig-like face; on the left with sloping-shoulders and a stubby fingers was the female, who were introduced as Deputy Headmaster Amycus Carrow and Deputy Headmistress Alecto Carrow respectively. It then occurred to Zeno that he had seen these strangers somewhere before...back at Malfoy Manor.

Would they re-capture him and bring him back to their Dark Lord?

"Alecto Carrow will be taking over the post for Muggle Studies which...will be compulsory for all years to attend," the new headmaster drawled as the students listened in complete silence, "as for Amycus Carrow, he will be your new Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor..." there was a pause as Snape looked expectedly at his gloomy audience, nobody but himself and some reluctant staff members had clapped for the Carrows. Sweeping his keen eyes across the Hall, Zeno observed that almost half of the student body was missing. Was it due to the change in Headmasters?

With the Headmaster Snape's speech over, food magically appeared upon the empty platters causing the students to sullenly begin swallowing their meals. Sensing someone's gaze on him, Zeno lifted his head to meet Snape's charcoal black eyes. Having now gained the Yellow Dragon Warrior's attention, Snape's eyes flickered briefly from the students to the Carrows and then back to Zeno. It was at that moment in which Snape's intentions became as clear as glass: He had returned to protect the students and he wants Zeno to be the one to help him.

Zeno's smile shone brightly in the dull Hall, like a firefly surrounded by moths in a dusty cupboard. Seeing that his message had been understood, the Headmaster turned his attention to the food beneath his hooked nose.

********

The classes that year were unlike any other, many of the professors had stopped giving their students detentions, especially over small issues, in an attempt to prevent them from being tortured by the Carrows and Zeno could see why. He had witnessed the Carrows' cruelty himself, the first time was during a Defence Against the Dark Arts class.

"We will be practicing the Cruciatus Curse-"

"B-but P-professor, that's one of the three Unforgiveable Curses! W-we c-can't do that!" Stuttered one of the students near Zeno.

Rather than responding, the Carrow ignored him and continued with his lecture: "-the incantation is, of course, Crucio. To perform it properly, you need to really want to cause them pain...to enjoy it," Amycus finished his words with a wheezy giggle, "imagine their faces contorting in pain, hear them screaming and begging you to end their lives...but don't give them that pleasure. You want them to suffer, to feel that unbearable pain for if you don't, they won't feel it,"

Some of the Slytherins were eagerly absorbing each and every word that came out of the Death Eater's mouth, while the rest of the students looked either disturbed or disgusted by it. A group of First Years cowered in the corner of the classroom, bounded by ropes of magic, it didn't take long for Zeno to figure out why exactly they were there. "P-please let us go, Professor C-Carrow!" a young girl tearfully pleaded from where she and the others were held captive.