02| THE WARDROBE

Chapter Two

Chapter Two

The Wardrobe

ANNABELL

TURNS out, Peter jinxed it. It was pouring rain which forced all of us inside for the day. We were all sitting in one of the studies with Susan making us play a game with a dictionary. I sat in a love seat with my own book in my lap but I already finished reading it, making me listen to Peter and Susan play her weird game. "Gas-tro-vas-cu-lar," Susan sounded out from her spot on the couch and waited for Peter, who was sitting on the other loveseat, to answer which he didn't know the answer.

"Come on, Peter. 'Gastrovascular'," Susan repeated which made Peter ask; "Is it Latin?"

Susan said he was correct which caused Edmund to speak up; "Is it Latin for 'worst game ever invented'?"

That caused Peter and I to laugh lightly while Susan glared at her younger brother and slammed the dictionary shut. "We could play hide-and-seek," Lucy suggested as she walked over to Peter from her previous spot by the window.

"But we're already having so much fun," Peter sarcastically replied, looking towards Susan who glared at him.

"Come on Peter, please...pretty please," Lucy begged her older brother while giving him puppy dog eyes and I knew he would cave.

"One, two, three, four," Peter began to count which caused Lucy to smile brightly.

I quickly jumped up and grabbed Susan's hand and together, we ran down the halls to find the perfect hiding spot. "In here," Susan said, pointing to two chests on either side of the hall.

We quickly hid in the chests and waited. "98, 99, 100...Ready or not here I come," Peter's voice rang through the halls before Lucy's voice followed; "I'm back! I'm back! It's alright!"

I opened the chest along with Susan and we looked at each other in confusion back Lucy's words. We got out and went to find the others who were near Grandfather's forbidden room. "Does this mean Anna and I win?" Susan asked when we arrived at the others.

"I don't think Lucy wants to play anymore," Peter informed us which caused Lucy to say in confusion; "I've been gone for hours."

That caused everyone to look at her in confusion before following her to the forbidden room. Susan and Edmund examined the wardrobe after Lucy informed us that there was a forest in the wardrobe. "The only wood in here is the back of the wardrobe," Susan told her after finishing examining the inside of the wardrobe.

"One game at a time, Lu. We don't all have your imagination," Peter informed Lucy before the other Pevensies walked away from Lucy who was standing next to me and the wardrobe.

Something tells me that even if Lucy had a very creative imagination, I didn't think she would be able to imagine an entire forest. "But I wasn't imagining!" Lucy shouted to her siblings who turned around to face her.

"That's enough, Lucy," Susan snapped, sounding like a mother.

"I wouldn't lie about this," Lucy pleaded to her siblings which Edmund responded; "Well, I believe you."

"You do?" Lucy asked her brother in disbelief making me assume that Edmund wasn't being truthful.

"Of course, didn't I tell you about the football field I found in the bathroom cupboard?" Edmund asked jokingly which caused me to roll my eyes.

Good job Edmund; just hurt your sister's feelings even more. "Oh, will you just stop it? You always have to make everything worse," Peter remarked, causing Edmund to get defensive; "It was just a joke."

"When are you going to learn to grow up?" Peter asked which caused Edmund to get angry.

"Shut up! You think you're Dad but you're not," Edmund shouted into Peter's face before storming out of the room.

We all watched Edmund storm out before Susan commented; "Well, that was nicely handled."

Susan walked out of the room as well, leaving Peter, Lucy and I in the room. Ouch, that was uncalled for Susan. "But...it was really there," Lucy said quietly before Peter responded harshly; "Susan's right, Lucy. That's enough."

Peter left Lucy and I alone in the room before I shut the wardrobe door and wrapped an arm around Lucy. "Don't worry about them, Lucy. If your heart believes this is happening then no one can tell you that you're wrong," I told the younger girl as I guided her back to her room, avoiding her siblings for the time.

I shot awake after the shouting voice of Lucy trying to wake Peter up echoed down the hall. I threw on my robe and walked down to the boys' room where all the Pevensies were awake. "Narnia! It's all in the wardrobe like I told you!" Lucy shouted again when Susan and I entered the room.

Susan gave me an apologetic look and I just smiled and shook my head; I wasn't losing that much sleep anyways. "Oh Lucy, you've been dreaming," Susan informed her but Lucy shouted back in excitement again; "But I haven't! I saw Mr Tumnus again and this time, Edmund went too."

Everyone grew silent and looked at Edmund. "You saw the faun?" Peter asked Edmund who shook his head.

"Well, he didn't actually go there with me..." Lucy began to trail off before asking Edmund; "What were you doing there, Edmund?"

Everyone's eyes turned to look at Edmund who then began speaking; "I-I was just playing along. I'm sorry, Peter. I shouldn't have encouraged her. You know what little children are like these days. They just don't know when to stop pretending."

Edmund sat on the bed looking smugly at Lucy who began to cry and run out of the room. I quickly followed her, not caring if Susan or Peter did as well. When I turned the corner, I saw Lucy embracing Grandfather who looked uncomfortable. He looked at me for an explanation and when I opened my mouth to speak, Mrs Macready's voice rang through the hall; "You children are one shenanigan shy of sleeping in the stable- oh."

She stopped talking when her eyes met Grandfather before catching herself and continued talking; "Professor! I'm sorry. I told them you were not to be disturbed."

"It's alright, Mrs Macready. I'm sure there's an explanation. But I think this one is in need of some hot chocolate. Annabell, will you take her down?" Grandfather asked me which I responded by nodding and wrapping an arm around Lucy.

"Yes, Grandfather. Come on, Lucy," I whispered to the younger girl, guiding her to the kitchen with Mrs Macready following behind.

Once Lucy's belly was filled with hot chocolate and biscuits, I took her up to my room as per her request not wanting to see her siblings for the remainder of the night. Let's hope tomorrow is a better day. 

➵