06| THE FOX

Chapter Six

Chapter Six

The Fox

ANNABELL

"HURRY, mother! They're after us!" Mr Beaver shouted to his wife as we bolted through the dam.

"Oh, right then," Mrs Beaver started grabbing items from the cabinets making Peter question her; "What is she doing?"

"You'll thank you me later. It's a long journey and Beaver gets pretty cranky when he's hungry," Mrs Beaver informed us as I began to help her carry the items to pack them for the journey.

"I'm cranky now!" Mr Beaver shouted at his wife in anger and probably fright of the wolves catching us.

"Do you think we'll need jam?" Susan asked making me roll my eyes at her.

"Only if the Witch serves toast!" I growled at her making her glare at me but that stopped when we heard the wolves outside.

Mr Beaver opened a small door that led us down into a tunnel. I left the Pevensies to go first before climbing down after them and we began running after the Beavers. "Badger and me dug this. It comes up right near his place," Mr Beaver informed us which made Mrs Beaver speak up; "You told me it led to your mums!"

I heard Lucy trip from behind me making everyone stop to help her. As we fell silent, we could hear running echoing through the tunnel. "They're in the tunnel," Lucy whispered to us before I pulled her onto her feet and we continued running with her gripping my hand tightly.

We ran on until we came to a dead end. "You should have brought a map!" Mrs Beaver exclaimed to Mr Beaver who responded; "There wasn't room next to the jam!"

He jumped out of the hole and everyone followed me. As Peter helped Mr Beaver cover the exit with a barrel, Lucy tripped and because she was still holding my hand, she dragged me down with her. The others turned around while my eyes widened at what Lucy had tripped over. Several creatures looked like they were turned to stone by the fear engraved on their faces forever. Peter helped Lucy and I back onto our feet while the Beavers walked over to a badger making me realise that was the badger who Mrs Beaver referred to early. I pulled Lucy into my side as we looked around at the creatures. "What happened here?" Peter asked which cause a new voice to speak.

"This is what becomes of those who cross the Witch." We all turned to see the voice belonged to a fox.

Peter moved Lucy and I to stand behind him as Mr Beaver growled towards the fox; "Take one more step, traitor, and I'll chew you to splinters!"

Mrs Beaver was holding back her husband from attacking the fox who didn't seem affected by his threat as he jumped down from the rocks.

"Relax. I'm one of the good guys," The fox told us with a grin on his face.