05| THE PROPHECY

Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The Prophecy

ANNABELL

I HELPED Mrs Beaver prepare the tea for everyone before pouring them into mugs and then sitting down in between Peter and Lucy. "Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?" Peter asked Mr Beaver who responded; "They'll have taken him to the Witch's house. And you know what they say: there's few who go through the gates that come out again."

His words made Lucy look at me with sadness and I placed a hand on hers and squeezed to try and comfort her. "Fish and chips," Mrs Beaver called out, placing a plate on the table of actual fish and wood chips.

Mrs Beaver also noticed Lucy's sad expression so she tried to comfort her; "But there is hope, dear. Lots of hope."

Mr Beaver spat his drink back into his cup before speaking; "Oh yeah, there's a right bit more than hope. Aslan is on the move."

Even though I didn't know who Aslan was, I felt like the name inspired hope throughout the whole room but Edmund ruined it by asking; "Who's Aslan?"

Mr Beaver blasted into laughter making me start to feel awkward about not knowing who Aslan was. "Who's Aslan?! You cheeky little blighter!" Mr Beaver continued to laugh until Mrs Beaver nudged her husband, noticing our expressions.

He stopped laughing and looked at us in shock. "You don't know, do you?" he questioned which made me shake my head.

"We only arrived in this world today. Give us a break," I informed him which caused him to go into a ramble; "He's only the king the whole wood, the top geezer...the real king of Narnia!"

"He's been away for a long while," Mrs Beaver informed us before Mrs Beaver went into a very exciting ramble; "But he just got back! And he's waiting for you near the Stone Table!" "He's waiting for us?" I asked, my eyebrow raised in confusion as to why the real king of Narnia was waiting for us kids.

"You're blooming joking! They don't even know about the prophecy!" Mr Beaver exclaimed to his wife before them basically blaming us; "Look... Aslan's return, Tummus' arrest, the secret police... It's all happening because of you!"

"You're blaming us?" Susan asked; feeling as insulted as I did right now.

"No, not blaming. Thanking you," Mrs Beaver said with a smile on her face.

"Well, that's not cryptic at all," I thought out loud with a sarcastic tone in my voice.

"There's....a prophecy: 'When Adam's flesh and Adam's bone sits in if Cair Paravel in throne the evil time will be over and done'," Mr Beaver stated making Susan utter; "You know that doesn't really rhyme."

"I know, but you're kind of missing the point!" Mrs Beaver argued before Mrs Beaver placed a hand on his arm and continued explaining what he was saying to us; "It has long been foretold that two sons of Adam and three daughters of Eve will defeat the White Witch and restore peace to Narnia."

We all looked at each other with worried expressions as to what the Beavers were proposing that we were the ones described in the prophecy. "And you think we're the ones?" Peter asked them with disbelief on his face.

"Well, you'd better be, because Aslan's already fitting out your army!" Mr Beaver blurted making both Lucy and I bellowed in disbelief; "Our army?"

"Mum sent us away so we wouldn't get caught up in a war," Susan said sharply to Peter before they looked at the Beavers again.

"I think you've made a mistake. We're not heroes!" Peter argued making Susan bark; "We're from Finchley!"

The Beavers looked at each other in confusion as they didn't know what Finchley was. Susan then stood up from the table while saying; "Thank you for your hospitality. But we really have to go."

"You can't just leave!" Mr Beaver pleaded as Peter also stood up from the table.

"He's right. We have to help Mr Tumnus," Lucy urged to her siblings; wanting to help her friend.

"It's out of our hands. I'm sorry but it's time the five of us were getting home. Ed? Ed?" Peter turned around but there was no Edmund present on the stairs.

I noticed Edmund had left his coat behind meaning he would be freezing if he went outside.

"I'm going to kill him," Peter growled, looking at Susan with anger in his eyes from his brother.

"You may not have to. ... Has Edmund ever been in Narnia before?" Mr Beaver asked making me now stand up from the table.

"Come on!" I shouted to the others, throwing my coat on and following the footsteps in the snow.

I could hear the others behind me from Peter shouting to his sibling; "Hurry!"

I reached the top of the hill and saw Ed going through what I could only guess was the Witch's castle gates. The running footsteps from the Pevensies and Mr Beaver stopped beside me before Lucy screamed; "Edmund!"

"Shh! They'll hear ya!" Mr Beaver snapped to the youngest Pevensie before Peter started to run after Edmund but was stopped by Mr Beaver grabbing him.

"NO!" Mr Beaver shouted to Peter who demanded; "Get off me!"

"You're playing into her hands!" Mr Beaver explained to us and from what I could tell, was getting frustrated with us.

"We can't just let him go!" Susan argued with Lucy agreeing with her; "He's our brother!"

"He's the bait! The Witch wants all five of you!" Mr Beaver argued, getting even more frustrated.

"Why?" Peter asked and Mr Beaver's reply made me wish Peter hadn't asked him.

"To stop the prophecy from coming true! To kill you!" Mr Beaver screamed at us before we all watched Edmund continue walking into the castle.

"This is all your fault!" Susan blamed Peter which made me roll my eyes.

"My fault?" Peter snapped in disbelief at Susan blaming him for Edmund betraying us.

"None of this would have happened if you had just listened to me in the first place!" Susan screeched making her brother snap at her again; "Oh, so you knew this would happen?"

"I didn't know what would happen...which is why we should've left while we still could!" Susan continued to scream before Lucy interrupted their arguing.

"Stop it! This isn't going to help Edmund!"

"She's right. Only Aslan can help your brother now," Mr Beaver informed them.

"Then take us to him," Peter demanded before looking back over at the castle.

I placed a hand on his shoulder before we turned around and began our journey to the Beavers' dam. Wolves howled echo through the forest making me start to feel anxious that those howls belonged to the White Witch's police. "Run!" Mr Beaver shouted at us, forcing us to sprint towards the dam.  

➵