11| THE DEEP MAGIC

Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

The Deep Magic

ANNABELL

MY eyes stayed locked on the opening of my tent, waiting for someone to walk past. The sun had fallen causing a blanket of darkness to spend across Narnia with only the shining moon as a form of light. I couldn't sleep.

A shadow past my tent which made me sit up and rush to place my trousers on my bare legs and my boots on my feet. I placed a cloak around my shoulders and attached my weapons to myself before rushing out of my tent. The shadow belonged to Aslan and I noticed he was walking slowly with his head down. I was following him through the forest when I felt a tap on my shoulder. My head whipped around to see Susan and Lucy were also following Aslan. Together, we darted from tree to tree to try and remain hiding from sight. We continued doing this until Aslan stopped and spoke; "Shouldn't you three be in bed?"

"We couldn't sleep," Lucy answered him as he stepped out from behind a tree and walked towards him.

"Please, Aslan. Couldn't we come with you?" Susan asked Aslan who nodded slightly and replied; "I would be glad of the company tonight. Thank you."

Lucy stood beside Aslan and buried her hand in his mane which I copied on his other side. Susan stood beside me and we walked together for a while until Aslan stopped. "It is time. From here, I must go on alone. You have to trust me, for this must be done. Thank you, Susan. Thank you, Lucy. Thank you, Annabell. And farewell," his goodbye hit my heart hard as we watched him continue walking alone.

Susan placed a hand on my and Lucy's shoulder before heading off into the trees to make her way around Aslan so he didn't notice her following him. I watched after him for a moment before grabbing Lucy's hand to follow after Susan. We found her ducked down in front of a gap in-between two rocks on top of a small hill and we crouched down on either side of her so we could both see what was going on in the clearing.

In the clearing, there was the Witch's army surrounding a stone table with some carrying torches. As Aslan walked up the stairs leading to the Stone Table, the army began to taunt him and growl at his face. The Witch appeared on the table and in her hand, she held a large, black knife. When I saw the knife, I realised what was happening. I could feel Susan grip my hand in a death grip as we continued watching.

Aslan stopped in his tracks when he saw the Witch as she spoke coldly; "Behold, the great lion."

Her army all laughed at her statement and we watched a minotaur approach Aslan with a large axe. The minotaur poked Aslan with the axe handle but Aslan was unaffected as he remained to stare at the Witch. The minotaur looked towards the Witch and she nodded before he turned back to Aslan. I gasped in shock as the minotaur whacked Aslan across his face and his side which sent him flying and slammed him onto the stone ground. "Why doesn't he fight back?" Lucy asked Susan and I but we couldn't answer her.