09| THE CAMP

Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

The Camp

ANNABELL

I FELT Lucy's hand grip mine tightly as we walked through an open field. Lucy stopped when she noticed flower petals flying through the air until it stopped just behind us where it formed a human-like female figure. I smiled at the flowery figure which I knew was called a Dryad as Lucy used our entwined hands to wave towards the Dryad who waved back. My head then turned around to the others to see that they had walked further ahead making me pull Lucy behind me as I jogged to catch up to the others.

As we walked closer to an area of red and gold tents, I looked up to see a centaur on a high rock before they blew a horn, announcing our arrival at the camp. We walked through the camp where I noticed everyone was staring at us in wonder and hope. I could see them whispering to each other but I was unable to hear them.

"Why are they all staring at us?" Susan asked which made Lucy smirk up at her.

"Maybe they think you look funny," Lucy remarked making the rest of us smile as Susan frowned her eyebrows at the comment.

I looked down at the Beavers in front of us to see Mrs Beaver fussing with her fur which made Mr Beaver grab her paws before saying; "Stop your fussing. You look lovely."

I smiled down at their interaction as we continued walking towards the tent that looked different from the other tents in the camp. Off to the side of the tent was another centaur who stared down at us making me believe he held an important and high-up role in Aslan's army. I stood between Susan and Lucy as I saw out of the corner of my eye that Peter had drawn his sword and had raised it in a salute. "We have come to see Aslan," Peter announced to the centaur who didn't respond besides turning his head to look at the tent.

I heard a motion from behind us causing us to turn to see everyone else in the camp bow beside us. Susan and I stared at each other in confusion before we turned back to the tent to see something emerging from the tent. It turns out that Aslan was a lion with a golden man and golden eyes that held wisdom in them. He was beautiful, magnificent but also terrifying all at once.

By just the presence of Aslan stepping out of his tent, we fell into a bow with our heads turned down towards the ground. "Welcome, Peter, Son of Adam. Welcome Annabell, Susan and Lucy, Daughters of Eve," I looked up at the Great Lion when he heard him say my name with a look of wonder as he continued talking; "Welcome Beavers, you have my thanks. But, where is the fifth?"

With his question, we stood back on my feet as Peter re-sheathed his sword as he spoke.

"That's why we are here. We need your help."

"We had a little trouble along the way," Susan said without really explaining what had happened.

"Our brother's been captured by the White Witch," Peter's words caused everyone to gasp in shock.