14| THE FUTURE

Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

The Future

FIFTEEN YEARS LATER

THE sound of laughter and horses' hooves galloping against the ground as four figures rode through the silent forest. In front of them was a white stag that was trying to escape. The two men rode in front of the two women before they passed the dark-haired male, Edmund, as his horse began to slow down. As the horse still and was breathing heavily, his rider reached down to place a hand on his neck. "Are you alright, Philip?" Edmund asked, concerned for his horse.

"Not as young as I once was," the horse replied between breaths.

The sound of neighs and approaching hooves caused him to look up and see that the others were re-joining him. "Come on, Ed," the darker-haired female, Susan, called out as she rode into the clearing.

"Just catching my breath," Edmund said to his older sister who teased back; "Well that's all we'll catch at this rate."

"What did he say again, Susan?" the lighter-haired female, Lucy, asked her sister as she stopped beside her.

"'You girls wait in the castle; I'll get the stag myself!'" Susan impersonated Edmund making the others but he laughed.

The blonde-haired male, Peter, looked up at something and asked; "What's this?"

He was the first to dismount from his stead before the others followed him. They looked up at an old lamppost covered in ivy. "This seems familiar," he said as he subconsciously began twirling the gold ring on his left ring finger around while looking up at the lamppost with frowning brows.

"As if from a dream," Susan remarked as she also looked up at the lamppost.

"Or a dream of a dream..." Lucy trailed off before her eyes widened slightly in realisation; "Spare Oom."

She picked her dress off the ground before running off. "Lucy!" Peter shouted as he ran after his sister.

"Not again!" Susan whined as she and Edmund also followed after Lucy.

"Lu?" Peter asked once he had caught up with Lucy.

"Come on!" she cried out in excitement as they continued moving through the trees before the path began to narrow and the branches turned into fur coats. "These aren't branches," Peter exclaimed as he pushed his way through the coats.

"They're coats," Susan said as she stopped to look around at the coats.

"Susan, you're on my foot," Edmund exclaimed suddenly which caused the others to begin to cry out as well and shove each other.

Their voices began to change and became higher pitched. A door flew open and they fall out of the wardrobe, now 15 years younger. They looked down at each other in shock as they noticed they were back to the age they were when they first entered Narnia. The door to the room opened and the Professor walked in with the cricket ball that Edmund had hit and that broke a window.