Student Life

These medical classes have been driving me insane. So much work but it's all worth it. The only thing that worries me is my family back home. I know Fiona is giving them hell but I hope they can handle her for a bit. Once I become a surgeon and make enough money, I will be able to get them out of there.

Its night time and we have to study. I was so sleepy that I felt like I was going to knock out. "Killian!" Caitlin screams at me when she sees that I'm falling asleep. "We have to keep on studying our test is tomorrow." I nod then close my eyes. "Killian!" I nod. 

I'm sitting on the dinning room table along with Caitlin studying over the notes. Every week we have test and demonstrations. I mean I love it but it's so stressful. I was going over the chapter about sutures. That's what our test will be on tomorrow, well part of it.

"Ok Killian, so what are the key steps for suturing a wound?" I yawn hearing Caitlin say this.

"Well the first is observe the wound and determine the best way to close it." She nods. "Put gloves on to minimize potential infection." She smiles. "Clean and irrigate the wound, removing any foreign matter or debris." She looks at the book and nods. "Good what's next?" I yawn.

"Thread the curved needle, or open your suture kit and grasp the needle with your needle driver. Start at the center of the laceration and work outwards."
She nods. "Leave approximately 1/8 an inch between each stitch then bandage the wound to minimize later infection."

She closes her book and smiles. "Dang Killian, that was good." I smile. "I might be falling asleep but I can remember the material." She smiles. "Imagine these are just the basics, I can't wait until we start to treat real patients." I smile. "That will be in a couple of years Caitlin." She sighs. "This is boring Killian." I laugh.

"I know but we must master everything even something simple as suturing." She nods. "Anyways when I become chief of surgery I might send you to the ER to suture patients wounds." She gasps. "You wouldn't?" I laugh. "You wanna bet?" She squints her eyes. "Yes I do." I extend my hand and she shakes it.

"But If I become chief you will be doing that mister Jones." I laugh. "Ok Miss Snow, the bet is on." She laughs then yawns. "I think you should head on to bed we have to be wide awake if not we can get docked points." She nods. "You sure you don't want to sleep on the bed tonight?" I nod. "I'm sure, you can take the bed tonight." She smiles.

"Good night Killian." I nod. "Night Caitlin." She then gets up and walks over to the room and closes the door. I sigh and went to sit down on the couch. That's when Caitlin comes out. "Hey you haven't called your family in a while, I think they deserve a call from you," she says as she hands me her phone. I smile.

"It's ok Caitlin." She smiles. "Go and call them, once you're done just leave it in our room." I nod she then walks back into the room. I go and call my parents.

"Hey mom."

"Son it's so good to hear from you, how's it going?" I sigh.

"Good but I miss you and dad."

"Oh Killian, we are ok." I sigh.

"You know that's a lie, with Fiona there you will never be ok." She sighs.

"But we have a roof over our heads Killian and that's all that matters."

"And how is Dad?"

"They fired him from his last job." I gasp.

"Are you serious?"

"He's working at a bar right now taking in night shifts while I'm taking more shifts at the diner." I sigh.

"Mom you shouldn't be..."

"Hush now, this is our lives." I sigh.

"I'm sorry mom, I can leave school and get a job to help..."

"Killian, no you worked hard to get in and shouldn't you be asleep, it's late." I chuckle.

"I know I should be asleep."

"Son we love you and we are so proud of you."

"I love you too mom."

"Oh yes Killian, we love you, why don't you just come back boy, you know you won't amount to nothing," I hear Fiona say.

"Leave my mother alone Fiona.." She laughs wickedly.

"Good night boy and I know I will be seeing you here very soon."

"Fiona..." She then hangs up.

I sigh. I get up and connected Caitlin's phone in the room then walked back to the living room. I can't wait until I'm able to get my parents out of there, they don't deserve that.

I got out my blanket and laid down on the couch. There are times when I do feel like giving up but I can't I've come too far. That's when I feel a little warmth coming from my bracelet. I smile as I touch it. I then put my wrist on top of my heart and slowly fell asleep.

Time passes by and it's morning which means it's testing time. Caitlin and I made our way to our lab. When we we get there Caitlin noticed that she didn't have her suture kit and testing packet. I offered to go to the car and get her stuff. I made my way to the car and grabbed her stuff. I looked at my phone and class was about to start in 5 minutes.

I locked the car and ran back to class. I don't notice where I'm going and I bump into someone.