Chapter One

"Hello, all you love-struck listeners!" I said, speaking into the microphone. "It's me, Becca Forrest, back for my bi-weekly session of heart break, true love, and amazing advice. If I say so, anyways." I smiled to myself. I always love the feeling of another day of working my radio station.

"Let's start off this hour with a great song by Carrie Underwood I have been hooked onto. It's called 'Do You Think About Me?' Enjoy, my lovelies!" I clicked off the microphone and started the song. Humming along, I started going through the e-mails I have received to choose one to read.

"Too personal, too naughty, too clique," I muttered to myself. Then I opened one that was perfect.

Dear Becca, it read. Prom is coming up, and I want to ask this girl in my class to Prom. But I'm really scared because she has turned down every boy that has asked her. She is really into the play, so I planned a mini performance to ask her. I will be so disappointed if she treats me like the rest! I really need some help from the radio's favorite Cupid. Sincerely, Scared Sh*tless.

I smiled at his signature, knowing that I can't read that on air. This prom letter is a nice break from everything else I have received lately. The last notes of Carrie's song cut off and I grabbed the microphone.

"Isn't that song great? It inspires many memories of innocent love from the past. Now for some quick advice to another listener. This time, it's about Prom." I proceded to read Scared Sh*tless's letter aloud before getting down to business.

"Can I just start off with how incredibly lucky this girl would be? I would die if a boy made a whole production to ask me to prom. If she says no, I'm calling this guy up!" I laughed at my own joke.

"Well, Scared, my advice for you is to go for it! Don't be afraid and be confident. What girl could turn a guy down when he asks like that? Go in with confidence and charm, but still be friendly. She might be turning guys down because she doesn't want anything serious. Or maybe, she has been waiting for the right guy a.k.a. you!"

I closed the email and scrolled through the song list. "Let's go on a quick song marathon today to waste some time. I have about six songs to give you many different emotions related to love. So turn it up and get ready to belt out the lyrics!"

I started the first song, then leaned back into my chair. I love my station. I closed my eyes and started to enjoy the music, but then my phone vibrated in my pocket. I pulled it out and smiled when I saw who texted me.

The screen read Nolan so I opened it up. Our lunch date on Sunday was so much fun, and I really think something could happen out of this.

But all my thoughts were cut short when I read his text message. Hey Becca. I had a great time with you on Sunday.

I stopped for a second to brace myself. I have seen so many text messages that start with this and end with me never texting the boy again. After I prepped myself to finish the message, I kept reading.

You are a really fun girl and I would love to know you better, but I can't see you again. My ex-girlfriend wants to get back together and I am still in love with her. I'm sorry to tell you over text but it will be for the best. Good luck with your radio station! -Nolan

I sighed and put down my phone. This has happened so much that I don't even get upset anymore. It is the same, repeating cycle. I meet a cute boy, we exchange numbers, go out to eat, then for a different reason, we don't even talk again.

On the plus side, I get a lot of free meals!

Now I sound desperate. But I don't search for love, or even a boyfriend. I just meet people and things happen. Nothing gets serious. Besides, who needs a man in their life?

I checked on my song queue, then decided to send a quick text to my best friend- Anna. I still have three songs to go.

Hey, Ans! I just got a text from Nolan saying his ex wants him back. I should have seen it coming when he mentioned her about three times in the first ten minutes. Hope you're listening ;) -Becca

Right away, I received Anna's response. I'm sorry Nolan didn't work out. Just remember, boys are only temporary at our age and they are completely unnecessary. Besides, you are still a perfect Cupid even if you have no experience! -Anna (P.S. of course I am listening, goosehead!)

I laughed and sent back Anna a reply. I'm so glad that girl has been my friend since first grade because I don't know what my life would be like without her.

By the time the songs were over, it was about 5:20. Time for my own little advice that I ramble about for a couple minutes. The last notes of the last song cut off, and I grabbed the mic. "Hello and nice to talk to you guys again! Hopefully that song fest left you feeling like you went on a joyride of love!"

"Like usual at this time, I now have a small rant for all my radio fans. I'm sure everyone out there has thought, 'He isn't my type' about a boy you just met. That just isn't fair. If you never give a guy a change, you might be missing out. And sorry ladies, but you aren't  going to find the perfect guy just be looking at him. You have to actually know what he is like."

"Let's say I am into the blonde, surfer dudes. My friend sets me up with a brown-eyed, dark-haired man that oozes mystery. If I get to know him, he could be a perfect gentleman with a romantic side. But if I don't even try because he doesn't have my ideal looks for a guy, I am missing out! Don't ever turn down a guy just because he doesn't fit your mental image."

Okay another example. Maybe I'm now the type of girl who will only date an athlete. A nerd approaches me in class and asks for my number. Should I turn him down?"

I laughed. "Of course not, unless I know what he is like! Girls, don't ever turn someone down just because they are different! The fresh personality might be a relief. Okay, now let me get back on topic. Don't limit yourself based on what you think you like. The unexpected always seems to be true love."

"Remember, I'm all about helping you fall in love. I love seeing my fans happy. Being happy, though, may take a leap of faith. You might have to stray from your usual type. Take some risks and you just might be happier than you ever thought possible. To finish this half hour, let's listen to some good old Taylor Swift." I started the song and turned off the mic.

Right as I did, someone knocked on the studio door. I walked over and opened it to see a young man about my age standing there. We looked at each other and he seemed taken aback. I smiled hesitantly. "Can I help you?"

He mentioned at a cart sitting next to him. "I was told to deliver your supper."

"Oh! I should have remembered. Are you new here?" I asked, since I haven't seen him before.

He nodded. I grabbed my plate off the nearly-empty cart, then smiled one last time. "Have a nice rest of the day."

He smiled back. "You too."

I stepped back inside my room and closed the door, looking at the young man one more time. "I didn't even get his name," I thought suddenly. "Oh well. Not like I'm missing out. It would probably end just like all my other relationships do."