Chapter Three

Usually first dates start off with an awkward silence because neither me nor my date know what to talk about. But today had to be the most awkward silence I have ever experienced. Instead of staring at my lap or him, I decided to look out the window.

Houses sped by, each a perfect replica of the one before it. It wasn't long before the houses turned into tightly-packed apartments as the car headed closer to the downtown area. A first date downtown is a new experience for me, and I was curious. I figured now would be a good time to break the silence.

"So what are the plans for tonight?" I asked, slightly wincing at how loud my voice sounded in the quiet truck.

Drew barely look his eyes off the road. Good driver. "My uncle moved his restaurant to the downtown area and just opened today. It's a really nice place, and I'm sure you'll like it." Too assuming. Not okay with that since he doesn't know me.

I couldn't help but let the critiquing comments enter my thoughts. "If you think I will like it, then I'm excited." Slight sarcasm oozed out with my words, but Drew didn't catch it.

"By the way, you like very nice tonight." I thanked him, but Drew wasn't done talking. "You actually look a lot like my past two exes. They had dark brown hair just like you, and all three of you have a cute little nose." Talking about an ex-girlfriend. Big no. Two ex-girlfriends? Even worse.

The rest of the ride was silent, but it was a short one. We quickly pulled into a parking lot of a sports bar. I had to suppress a groan so I wouldn't insult Drew. Sport bars and restaurants are the worst. I barely like watching sports, and being surrounded by over-excitable testosterone is far from enjoyable.

Drew hopped out of the truck, slammed his door shut, and yelled back at me. "Let's go. I can't wait to see this place in action!" I took the time away from Drew to slam my head against the dashboard once, then opened the door and followed Drew inside.

By the time I entered the sports bar, Drew was no where to be found. I've never been ditched by my date. And I have had a lot of bad blind dates.

I rolled my eyes and tried to make my way to the bar. I squeezed through many different groups of rowdy men yelling and shoving. A big man shoved his scrawny friend into me, but did Mr. Wiry even apologize? Not a word.

After I eventually got to the crowded counter, I was exhausted. Drew was still no where to be found. The bartender approached me with a wink. "And what is a pretty lady doing here all by herself?"

I smiled politely, but shook my head. "I'm 16. And my blind date walked away from me."

The fit, bearded man had the decency to blush. "My apologizes, miss. For my behavior and for your date abandoning you. Especially in a place like this. Water?" He pushed a shot glass my way.

I took it and sniffed the glass. Never hurts to double check. I knew it was safe to drink, so I gulped it down. It squelched my thirst instantly. "So this place is pretty crowded." I stated to the bartender.

He nodded. "Probably won't last. It will all clear out when the game is over, and then I'll be alone for the rest of the night."

I smirked. He set himself up for my joke. "Just like every other night." The bartender laughed and shook his head. An order for a drink was shouted at him from my right and he started to mix it.

Drew finally showed up by slinging his arm over my shoulders. I was hit with the smell of smoke and beer, which made me  gag. "Drew, did you go smoke?" I asked in shock.

Drew responded by shouting into my ear. "No, Becca baby! Just a couple drinks! Then I realized you ditched me!" 

I crossed my arms frustrated. A drinker and very self-absorbed. What was my mom thinking? "Drew, you aren't old enough to drink." I muttered but (of course) Drew didn't hear. Instead he started to drag me away.

The bartender mouthed "Good luck" before he was out of sight. Drew's grip was strong and I couldn't get him to stop pulling me away. I couldn't even rip my arm out of his tight hold.

The two of us found an empty table. Well, Drew found it. He literally hopped into the chair and almost fell out. I forced out a laugh and hoped Drew couldn't tell it was fake. Right away, a busty waitress approached our table.

She chomped on her gum and focused on Drew. He let out a smirk. "Hey, baby. Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

The waitress blushed and pushed her breasts forward. Drew checked them out with a smile. I coughed and kicked his leg. He didn't even look away and I sighed loudly. This date is making me so frustrated.

After taking Drew's order, our waitress started to walk away. I held out my hand to stop her. "What?" she snapped.

I held up both hands defensively. "I just wanted to get my order." She rolled her eyes and took out her order pad. "Just a water and an order of fries please." I smiled , but she strutted away. I threw up the finger, but quickly put it away. I'm not a fan of using it, but she deserved it.

Turning around, I noticed that Drew was preoccupied by the huge flatscreen to our right. "Go, go, go," he was muttering repeatedly. Then he suddenly jumped out of the chair. "Yes!!" he fist pumped. "Touchdown!" Drew bellowed, before he turned around and high-fived another celebrating guy.

"You know what Drew? I think I'm just going to go home." I got up and out of my chair. I made it about halfway to the door before a hand grabbed my shoulder. The unknown person spun me around.

Drew gave me a wink. "Okay, bye Becca. How about a kiss before you go?"

I thought about it, then a devious thought entered my mind. Normally, I don't play games, but I deserve a little fun on this date. I leaned in close and watched Drew pucker his lips. But instead of kissing him on the lips, I went straight for the ear. "Never going to happen," I whispered before high-tailing it for the door.

Author's Note--Finals are done for me(Carrington) but Cailin is almost finished... so let's talk about this date. Or not, because it was pretty awful. I was wincing every time Drew messed up. And just in case you enjoy reading bad blind dates, I'll be putting more in as the story goes on :)