Chapter Four

I stepped outside and slumped against the wall, hitting my head on the rough bricks. That was by far the worst date of my life, and I highly doubt I could have a worse one. I knew I shouldn't have gave in to my mom. Speaking of which....

I reached into my back pocket and pulled out my cracked phone. It got the crack from dropping it down my stairs. I quickly typed in my mom's number and waited for her to pick up.

"Becca," I heard from the other end. "Why are you calling me when you're on a date?"

"Mom, he is awful. He ditched me the second we stepped into the door and then he got drunk. To make it worse, he started flirting with the waitress. I'm leaving him at this sports bar to pass out," I complained. "Please come pick me up."

My mom sighed. "I thought he was nice. Where are you, Becca?" I gave her the name of the bar and disconnected. While I waited I decided to check out Spotify. This is where I find most of my radio songs. By the time Mom showed up, I saved "Love" by a country artist named Jana Kramer and an old Shiana Twain song.

Mom pulled up right next to the entrance and I hopped straight into the passenger side. "Please don't ever set me up again. I'm done experimenting with bad blind dates."

Mom looked at up with an expertly raised eyebrow. I'm pretty sure that is her signature look. "Rebecca, you need to find someone right. It's not right to go through high school without experiencing love!"

"I'm close to the end of my sophomore year. I have plenty of time," I dead-panned.

My mom sighed and rubbed her temples. I felt bad for arguing, but Drew put me in a bad mood. "Rebecca, please, just get a date for my party. One night is all I ask."

I stared at the window in boredom. "Fine." How on earth am I supposed to find a date?

Once my mom pulled into the driveway and came to a complete stop, I jumped out of the car and slammed the door behind me. I need to talk to Anna about this right now.

"So, how are you planning to get a date for your mom's party?" Anna asked after I explained the situation to her. Being the reliable best friend like always, she had answered after the first ring. 

"Well, I don't have very many options. Most of the boys at our school are either in a relationship or jerks," I mused, thinking aloud.

Anna giggled. "Sometimes they are both." I joined in with her giggles and plopped backwards onto my bed. I stared at my ceiling in silence while Anna and I thought about my little problem.

"I have an idea!" Anna suddenly chirped from the other end of the line. "What if you auditioned boys for your show, but they were really just your date for the party. You could use the boy as an example for fancy dates, or something like that."

A small smile played across my face. "Anna, you are fabulous. I can't wait to have a whole group of boys trying out to be my date, especially attractive boys." I laughed as a mental image of hot, tan, muscular guys all waited in line with hopeful smiles on their perfect faces.

Anna snorted. "Are you visualizing the hot guys begging to be your date?"

"You know me too well, Anna." I smirked, even though she can't see my face. "I can't wait for tomorrow now."

Anna sighed dreamily and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. She has done this enough and I know Brett will become the subject of the conversation. To clear things up, Brett is the sterotypical blonde-haired, blue-eyed quarterback of our high school. He is also a senior who thinks he is way better than everyone else.

Brett has been Anna's crush since the end of freshman year, and I hope she will get over him soon. I still give her love advice, but I know the only reason Brett will get with her is to screw her. I can only hope that Anna will find out what Brett is like before he hurts her.

"I also can't wait for tomorrow," Anna said dreamily. "Brett and I are working on a drama project during lunch, and I really want him to see who I am. He won't have any friends around, and he is so much nicer when it's just us."

I bit my lip, trying to decide what to tell Anna. I could either tell her to be herself, or I could have her make a move. Maybe if she does ask Brett out, she can figure out the kind of guy he is more quickly. "Anna, just ask him to a movie tomorrow. Brett likes confident girls."

Anna hummed in thought. "I don't know, Becca. I'm not like you."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"You are so confident with guys, and nothing can rattle you. Then there is me. I'm too shy to even talk to most guys, let alone my crush. I'm lucky to get three words out in one sentance."

"Anna!" I scolded. "You don't need to be me. You are an amazing person that any guy would be lucky to have." After a quick thought, I continued. "Besides, you don't want to be me. Guys at this age are afraid of blunt, confident girls. Whenever I find a guy I really like, he always ends things because my honestly scares him. I'm too out there and it scares guys off." I added wistfully.

That is the main reason that I can't find a decent guy. Boys are either scared of me or too immature for me. Does it bother me? Yes. But as long as I can help other people find love, I'm okay with waiting to find that perfect somebody.

After all, true love waits.

Author's Note-

It seems like forever since I have last updated this story. Believe it or not, I had more free time during the school year then during this summer :) I barely  even have time for a job--I detasseling whenever i have time.

Honestly, I think this chapter is really slow and bad quality, but it could just be the perfectionist in me! (But I don't think Perfectionist Carrington is showing her claws quite yet) I'll try to get another upload sometimes soon, but no promises! ♥♥ Carrington