Chapter Two

Since I have no other friends I want to hang out with (besides Anna) and my radio time is done, I can only head home and hope for a evening without my mom interrupting my peace. I should have known better than to expect a quiet night.

I was lounging in my swinging chair in the corner of my room, sitting backwards and legs propped up on the backrest. The straw-like texture of the frame was tickling my bare feet. For my art class, we had to make two sketches of facial parts that are creative. I chose to make a pair of eyes winking with hipster glasses, and the other sketch consists of lips being painted red by a paintbrush. I knew I had to work on this now while I had free time.

Anyways, I was working in my hanging chair on my art project when my mom literally skipped into my room wearing Victoria Secret sweats (from my closet!) and a huge grin across her model-like features. I sighed and placed my sketchbook and red colored pencil onto my soft, white carpet. "Can I help you, Mom?" I asked, fatigue seeping into my voice.

My mother pouted.  "You could at least sound excited and eager to hear what I have to say."

Still sitting backwards, I mentally flipped the switch to my inner girl and squealed. I put on a surprised face, slapped my hands on my cheeks, and used my best enthusiastic voice to say, "Oh-em-gee!! I am, like, totally excited to, like, hear what you have to say!"

Mom stared at me for the longest time before she closed her eyes, then used her right hand to rub her temples. I saw her take a deep breath before she opened her mouth to talk. "Becca, I'm not going to talk to you if you are going to use the obnoxious voice."

I grinned and spun around so my feet were placed on the ground, next to my drawing book. Fixing my hair, I tucked loose strands behind my ears and flipped the rest over my shoulders. "What is the good news, Mom?"

Just like that, my mother perked up. Her eyes got a little twinkle in them; she plopped herself down onto my black and white striped comforter. "I got something for you, and you'll never guess what it is."

"What is it?" I asked monotonously.

If my mom could sense my apathy, she ignored it. "I hooked you up with a blind date! Well, he isn't exactly blind because I know him. But you haven't met him, so he is a blind date to you. Drew, that's his name, is one of my co-worker's son and-"

I cut my mother off before she started rambling. "Why did you set me up again?" I practically hissed. My vision narrowed as I stared at my traitorous mom.

Mom sighed and leaned back, arms supported her body. "Rebecca, honey, I just think there are so nice boys that would be lucky to know you and you would be lucky to know. Besides, I think you should have had a cute, little relationship by now!"

I copied my mom by leaning into the hard back of my chair, then tucked my legs into my chest. "There are more important things in life than a relationship," I mumbled, staring into my lap.

"I know that silly. Friends, family, and following your dreams are equally important."

"Then why are you so insistent that I get a boyfriend?" Mom looked down at her lap sheepishly and mumbled something. "I can't hear you," I said impatiently.

Mom looked back up at me and said with hope in her eyes, "I want you to have a date for the annual party that my company throws. You know, the one where an employee is chosen for Worker of the Year and I have a chance of winning since I'm on the ballot. It will be nice for my daughter to have someone to keep her company besides snotty rich girls with snotty rich dates."

I laughed softly and started to grin. "Way to make it sound like the date will benefit me."

"So will you do it?" my mom pleaded with the puppy dog look on her face.

I knew it wouldn't do any good to argue about it and it is hard to resist my mom's puppy dog face, so I agreed. "Sure. When is it?" I asked, as I started to get out of my swinging chair.

"Tonight."

I faced my mom with my mouth hanging wide open. "Seriously?"

Mom nodded with a smile. "Dead serious. Drew will be here at six-thirty."

I looked over at my digital clock on my desk and gasped loudly. "It's almost six!" I turned back to Mom with a face that was a mixture of confusion and desperation.

"Then you better start getting ready!" And before I could respond, Mom jumped off my bed and literally skipped out of my room. I rolled my eyes and stalked over to my dresser before I yanked open a drawer.

It was almost 6:20 and I was dressed, groomed, and ready for my blind date to arrive. Of course, I used my handy collection of first date tips: don't overdress, don't under-dress, be a natural version of yourself, know the weather, be yourself, and wear what looks good. The weather is nice and the sun is out, so I chose a tank-top. The shirt was white because it will bring out my tan. I chose dark denim jeans so it looks more dressy, and then pink flats. The pop of pink and the ruffles on the tank top brought out my girly side. My makeup was natural and I did nothing but straighten my hair.

This outfit is usually fool-proof and is my favorite outfit out of my whole closet to wear for a first date. Believe it or not, first dates are really important for first impressions.

I snorted at my thoughts and smiled to myself. "I am already considering this a first date when it's actually just a blind date. There probably won't be a second one."

I grabbed my purse and headed downstairs to wait for this Drew person. I sat down on the couch and started to think about what Drew could be like and look like. Most of the boys my mom set me up with had been blonde haired, blue eyed boys that seemed nice but were really boring.

"Mr. Drew Something will probably be exactly like the rest," I thought gloomily. "Nice but too boring for me."

A doorbell rang and interrupted my thoughts. I stood up and headed to the door, but Mom beat me there. I heard the door open and my mom's voice echoed through the house. "Hello Drew! Come in. Rebecca will be here soon."

I stepped into my mom's and Drew's line of sight and nodded hello. Just like I suspected, he had blond hair that was cut short to his head and sparkling blue eyes. Drew gave me a polite smile. My mom laughed as she clearly tried to clear the awkward feeling that had settled in. "Oh, look, Rebecca is right here."

"Just Becca," I stated and Drew nodded. The awkward feeling was still there.

He held out his arm, I took it, and we headed outside. My mom yelled something after us but I ignored her. The walk to his truck was silent. The only words I said to him was "Thank you" after he opened my door for me.

This will be a long and boring night.

Author's Note: Becca has a date, Becca has a date! But it sounds like it won't be very enjoyable... let's wish her luck and find out what happens when I (Carrington) finally get the next one uploaded!! Already, I have no time to write and not quite time for finals :(