1.5

Chapter Five:

Emblym jabbed at Hatter, who parried and stepped back. Then, he sidestepped and lunged. Emblym twisted at the last second, but he managed to hit her arm. "Watch your opponent's movements," Hatter instructed. "Follow how they move, it'll hint their next move."

Emblym nodded, and stood straight. "Go." Emblym jabbed again, and Hatter twisted and lunged. This time, Emblym dropped, letting his weapon swing over her harmlessly. Then, she swiped at his legs, and he tell. Emblym stood up grinning.

"Good job," he praised. "Nice technique."

"Thanks," Emblym smirked, helping him to his feet. Hatter undid the magic around their swords turning it back to it's original cardboard. "I think I've mastered sword fighting, for the most part. Don't see why I'll need it if my primary weapon is a small knife, but..."

"I was going to explain that next week," Hatter sighed. "But I guess I'll do it now. Your knife is magic, like my hat. While my hat can bring the things I think of out --- within reason --- yours can change into different weapons."

Emblym furrowed her brow, "What?"

"While every change is unique to the owner, it remembers its past shapes and sometimes. So, for example, if one of the former red-humans were exceptionally good with a rapier, your knife will remember that and could turn into a rapier as well."

"Well, how will I know what it can and can't turn into?" Emblym asked.

"Trial and error," Hatter shrugged. "See what works, see what doesn't. You are already good with your knife, so I would stick to that."

"What other weapons has the red-humans used?"

"Well," Hatter said, thinking. "The one before you used a switchblade. And I know a few used it as an axe. Then, there's the rapier, sword, spear. It really varies from person to person."

Emblym nodded. "So, how do I do it?"

"I do not know," Hatter laughed, and Emblym narrowed her eyes.

"What?"

"In order to change the shape of your weapon, you'll need to consult with the other Red-Humans. I cannot tell you because I am not a Red-Human."

"They don't usually like talking," Emblym frowned. "In fact, they are usually screaming." It was true, and they were screaming at her at that moment. They were high on the adrenline from Emblym spar with Hatter and still hadn't began to calm down. It was quite annoying, actually.

"Try," Hatter shrugged. "I can't help you." Then, He turned to leave, and Emblym glared.

"What am I supposed to do then?!" Emblym demanded.

"Listen to the voices," Hatter replied, "They're there for a reason. You're on dishes when you finish." And with that, Hatter disappeared.

Emblym sighed, closing her eyes. She could hear the voices still screaming in her head. Emblym sighed, this wasn't going to work at all. They never listened to what she had to say, and when she did talk, they just gave her a headache.

"What are you doing?" A voice asked in barely above a whisper behind her. Emblym snapped around, her knife in hand to the intruder. It was TweedleDee, he was staring at her. Emblym noticed the bags under his eyes, and the way he squinted when he looked at her.

"Training," Emblym replied slowly, not wanting to turn her back to the strange man. She didn't exactly trust him. She didn't trust anyone, actually.

"To--To change your knife?" Emblym nodded.

"Yeah..." She murmured. Then she looked back at her knife, focusing on it.