2.1

Chapter Seven:

Emblym woke up to a hospital room. Her arms in a straitjacket and her body chained down on the bed. The voices screamed at her, some laughing at her naïvity, others sobbing, triggered by her surroundings.  "We're back! We're back! We're back! We're---"

"Shut up!" Emblym hissed, her head feeling as if it were splitting open. "Everyone shut up!" For once, they obeyed, for the most part. Emblym huffed, and then closed her eyes. She could hear them dying again, the gunshots ringing in her ears.

Emblym turned her head, her lol trembling and her face contorted as if it would help keep the tears in, but it didn't. Emblym began to sob, hiccuping and wailing in bed, turning --- as much as her restrained body could --- back and forth.

Emblym felt as if she cried for hours, and the voices even cried with her. Some of them didn't know how to handle their pain and just screamed, but it was different than their usual screaming. They were all mourning.

Emblym sniffed, unable to clean the snot running down her face, so she just laid in silence, her eyes puffy, but closed. Emblym was tired, far to tired to even figure out what she was doing in a 'jacket and cell again.

However, time waited for no one, because the door opened and heavy footsteps made their way in. Emblym knew it was a man without even opening her eyes to see him.

"Emblym White?" He said. His voice was stern and heavy. Emblym didn't say anything, so he continued. "You lived with a man named Hatter for four months. Hatter is considered an enemy of this country --- he actually an enemy of most countries in this world --- and to be affliated with him would be to have commited treason. Would you say you two were close?"

Emblym drew in a breath, "Why are you wasting our time?" She asked slowly, making sure he heard every word. Emblym looked over her shoulder to side-eye him. This man was tall, and black. He wore a heavy black trenchcoat with a black eyepatch over an eye that Emblym assumed wasn't for decoration.

"Because, you deserve a second chance," Emblym scoffed, turning, and closed her eyes again. "You're nineteen, but you've been admitted in a mental institution with every protection for over four years. Whatever you did then can be dismissed now."

"I'm crazy, not stupid," Emblym hissed. "What are you getting out of this?"

"You give me everything you know on this different world you friend called Wonderland came from," he said.

"No," Emblym's voice held a scary finality to it that made the man go silent.

"Ms. White, this is your only option. The alternative if a high probability of death, or sent back to a mental institution."

"I said, no!" Emblym snapped, turning to glare at him in anger. His mouth was pressed tight, but then he stood, and began to leave the room.

"I'll let you think about it," he told her, then closed the door.

"Fool! You gave up freedom! Idiot! Dumbass!" The voices berated her.

"Leave me alone!" Emblym hissed, but the voices weren't nearly done. They kept screaming at her, and she yelled back at them, deflecting every insult thrown at her, but one made her stumble.

"Is this what Hatter died for!?" Emblym was quiet, and the insults slowed.

"Hatter didn't die so I can give him up to the first person who grants me freedom," Emblym growled lowly. "None of them did. None of them deserved to." Emblym didn't listen to the rest of their insults. She closed her eyes, sniffing as tears formed in her eyes again.