2.2

Chapter Eight:

When Emblym had slowly began to come back to life, she realized that her arms were not stuck in the fabrics of a straitjacket. She hadn't been completely free, exactly, because her wrists had still been cuffed to the bed.

Emblym hummed at the small freedom that she had been given, she usually wasn't treated like this. They must want something from her, however Emblym didn't quite know what.

Emblym sighed, glancing around. Her room still had no windows to gaze outside, unfortunately, but it also didn't have a huge one-way mirror either. There had been a door, she noticed, which did have a small, rectangular window on it.

Emblym frowned, was she in an actual hospital room? Yes, she did see the medical equipment connected to her body, but she had never been in a real hospital room.

Back ay the Institute, if she had been injured or sick --- which was often because of the lack of food and water she recieved --- she was left in her room. Nobody came to help her because nobody wanted to risk death by her strange, magical knife.

The door opened and Emblym sat up straighter. It was the black guy again. His hands were folded behind his back and he eyed her as he walked from the door to one of the seats against the wall.

He was silent for a few moments and Emblym frowned, annoyed, "If you could tell me why you are here instead of just ominously sitting down, that would be great."

He rolled his eye, "Why did you save those people?" He asked, and Emblym rose an eyebrow.

"Why? Are they dead?"

"No. They all survived thanks to you. They're waiting to thank you, actually. What I want to know, is why?"

"Do I really need a reason?" Emblym asked, raising an eyebrow, but the black guy didn't talk, waiting for the response he wanted. "We were going to die. I think that's cause enough."

"You didn't do it for any personal gain?" He asked, "No favours? Not so they would be indebted to you in the future?"

"Why would I?" Emblym demanded testily. "You know, despite what others may think and what you might have heard, I'm not a monster."

"No, just a brutal murderer," he replied sarcastically.

"I can't help that," Emblym said, and he rose an egebrow, testing this. "I can't! The voices, they..." Emblym scoffed, "Why am I even trying with someone like you? What are you waiting for, anyway? Didn't you say you were going to take me back to the institute? Or, kill me, for that matter."

"Ms. White, I want to offer you a third option," he told her, hands folded and Emblym rose a tentative eyebrow. "Community service. Work with me, and I'll have your records expunged."

Emblym stared at him, then began laughing wildly, tears forming in her eyes that she couldn't wipe away because her hands were cuffed. When she finally calmed down, she stared at him, a few giggles still slipping last her lips. "Nobody is going to sign my records away."

"I wouldn't be too sure."

"And, nobody would accept me to do any kind of service in a community if they know what I've done."

"They don't have to worry about that."

"And, what about Wonderland?" Emblym narrowed her eyes at him. "All that work you put into me, waiting to finally get me to snap about it, thrown away?"

"I'll find another source," he shrugged.

"No, you won't," she shook her head. "I'm you're only source, and you know that. If I do this, I am not in debt to you. I owe you nothing."