삼십팔

it looks like i'll have to spend the day with mother and mister byun.

mother said it was rude to leave someone all alone, but she did the exact same to me before mister byun came into our lives.

strange.

now we were all eating breakfast, the dining table littered with plate after plate of sweet & savory foods. i was playing a bit with my pancakes and eggs.

i never dreamed breakfast could be this sweet, way better than the usual apple or bread mother has.

"So Yoona, I've been meaning to ask," i tuned back in to hear mister byun.

"Baekhyun she looks a little drowsy, maybe you can ease the conversation with her?" mother asked icily, gripping her fork.

whenever mister byun spoke to me, she'd act like this. passively livid, tying it back behind a forced smile.

"Oh sure Ms.Park." mister byun said, turning his attention to mother, who seemingly had heart eyes at this.

park?

"Soon to be Mrs.Byun, Dear." she flirted, before letting out a shrill laugh.

mister byun nervously laughed.

"excuse me." i asked, getting their attention on me.

"my last name is park?" i asked, honestly confused. it was the first time i heard of it.

"Of course it is, right Ms.Park?" mister byun ceased eating, and looked at mother.

"O-of course." she says nervously. why was she nervous?

i silently gasped in awe, since i never knew what my real name was. and this was a step in the right direction.

though, mister byun looked to me at my gasp.

"It almost seems like you never even heard of your last name!" mister byun chuckled.

bullseye.

"A shame really, I wonder what kind of person would not let a child know their last name?" mister byun wondered aloud, and mother tensed. his tone was eerie.

"I-I wonder as well." mother smiled.

mister byun looked at her, before smiling, though it didn't reach his eyes.

"Interesting." he says, with an edge of enthusiasm, before eating again.

"But amazing breakfast." he complimented, making mother forget about the previous situation and swoon.

after that, mother tried starting up another conversation, and was succesful.

though the only thing i was successful in doing this morning was finding out my last name.