Part 4: Chapters 14-15

14

Like a Princess

The next few days were fairly uneventful. As Larron had promised, my closet had been stocked full of beautiful clothes, shoes and jewelry. I had been provided with a selection of books to keep in my room to keep me entertained, should I wake up during the day, while my captors were still sleeping.

I had been opposed to believing this fairytale story at first, but with each passing day, I found it harder and harder to fight the reality of my situation. Reed had bitten me and he had drank my blood. I had magically made a room full of books fly off the shelves. I had a gorgeous man who thought that I was just going to marry him because Cora said so. Obviously, I was in way over my head.

Thought the daily routine had become easier, I still hadn't forgotten about Lily. I was still having nightmares from time to time and would wake up drenched in sweat, but each morning, or night rather, Derrick took me to eat on the terrace, just as he had that first night. We talked, but only about non important things. He seemed to be so caught up in his work, that he could hardly talk about anything else. It was like talking to a banker every evening. How could someone so young and attractive have the personality of a brick? It just seemed so unlikely, but, he was nice to me and he was making the effort. I had to give him credit for that.

Reed had been missing since the night he had bitten me. I had been too afraid and embarrassed to ask anyone about his absence from the manor, so I had no idea where he had gone. I had caught myself at least a dozen times looking for him as I wandered around the house. Cora had also left right after "Bookmageddon", as I was calling it and had not bothered to say goodbye on her way out. Larron had stayed mostly confined to his office during the evenings. Derrick said he was busy making calls and having meetings with the family and staff members from time to time.

Since I had been given a bit more freedom, I was taking advantage of it. Everyone seemed to think that I was not going to run away now and although my door was still locked during the hours that the sun was up, at night, I could wander around at night. I would go check out random rooms, go out onto the terrace for some air or even go into the media room, which was slowly becoming my favorite get away. It seemed completely out of place in this house. It still had the big glass lamps on the wall, but it also had a big screen tv above the fireplace, gaming stations galore, cd players and all the luxurious furniture that you could imagine to find in a celebrity cribs episode.

Though the manor did not have cable tv that I could watch the news on, I had plenty of dvds to pass the time with and I did that pretty often. In fact, I was sitting on the sofa watching an old black and white movie one night when Larron came to talk to me. I was a bit surprised, since he had been keeping his distance from me lately.

"Blair", he said my name with affection, but quickly turned it off as he took me in and then continued with "I am so pleased that you are finding yourself more comfortable in my home."

"Comfortable is a bit of a stretch", I said in response.

He eyed my feet propped up on the cushion and the giant bowl of popcorn that I had perched precariously on one slightly bent knee. After looking at me for a silent moment, he changed gears and went on with a new conversation.

"I have been working diligently to plan our annual Hallows Ball, Blair and given that you are not yet accustom to our world, you will undoubtedly need a bit of help preparing for it."

'Hallows Ball?" I asked. "You mean like a Halloween Dance?"

He chuckled "Something like that". "This year, we will be using the ball as your coming out party for the rest of our kind. Supernatural beings from every corner of the Earth will be attending and they will want to see you for themselves. I am sure that the rumors of your arrival will have already touched their ears".