Part 5: Chapter 16

Chapter 16

More Spells and Bells

When I finally had myself back into some semblance of calm, I put on my mask and marched back up to the party. My hands were still shaking, but I knew that I couldn't stay out here all night, so in I went. As soon as I walked through the doors, I was overcome by the light in the room and it took a moment for my eyes to adjust. Once they did, I scanned the room looking for the one person that I needed to talk to.

Despite her oversized, over-styled mask, I knew when my eyes lighted on her. She oozed her snobby presence all over anyone around her and her over dramatic movements set her apart in the crowded room. I took a moment to steady myself and marched right up to her.

"Cora", I demanded. "We need to talk." "Now".

Her smile instantly faded at my words. "Very well", she said, motioning for me to go ahead of her to an empty alcove.

"I can't do this, Cora. I don't want to marry. I don't want these powers. You can't treat me like I'm your property. I'm not. I am an adult and as such you need to get me the hell out of here".

At my outburst, several eyes turned to gawk at us and Cora immediately hustled me towards the hallway and out of ear shot. Once safely in a corner, she began her retort.

"You are going to do exactly what I tell you to do, missy". She hissed, poking a finger into my chest. "This is your destiny. I've made sure that I found you, married your stupid oaf of a father, put up with your sniveling crap, for much longer than I would have liked, mind you and YOU. ARE. MINE."

I had known that she was mean, but I had never seen the poisonous look in her eyes that she was wearing now. If looks could kill, I'd have died right there in the hall. I opened my mouth to fight her, but all that came out was an empty breath, my fight dying at the look in her eyes. Ashamed, I dropped my eyes and that was the only signal that she needed. She stood up straighter, jerked her head once in triumph and turned on her heel. I could hear her shoes clicking all the way down the marble and back to the party.

I couldn't bring myself to go back in. I knew vampires supposidly had super hearing and I'd about bet that everyone in that room had just heard our conversation, though they were all too polite and political to say so.

So, I walked down the halls and up the stairs. I didn't want to go back to my room yet, but I didn't want to be around people either. So I wandered. Somewhere around the fourth time that I had replayed the nights events in my head, I found myself stumbling down a hallway that I had never been in before. It was in one of the upper levels and looked mostly deserted, except for a few of Larron's staff members who were huddled together enjoying some punch that they had stolen from down stairs. They were laughing and enjoying the evening just as much as the guests. Probably more, actually.

I had just passed their little group when I saw a random opening in the stone wall of the hallway. It looked so out of place, being such a small opening in such a random place. Without thinking too much about it, I walked over and looked into it. It appeared to lead through a stone passageway that seemed to extend up and out farther than the house would have allowed for. Had I missed one of these on every floor?

I looked back at the group and said "Excuse me?"

They stopped talking abruptly at my interruption and turned to look at me. "Yes?" said one of the girls in a maid's uniform.

"Where does this tunnel go?" I asked, curious.

The entire group looked at each other, brows raised.