Part 12: Chapter 28

Chapter 28

A Single Soul

The walk back through the woods had been excruciating. My body was covered in small scratches and trickles of blood were drying into crusty spots all over my arms. My neck hurt from where Larron had choked me and I kept coughing out dry air as I walked on. Having lost my impractical wedding shoes, thorns and sticks buried themselves into the soles of my feet with each step. I was lucky that the ground was so cold. My feet had gone numb and I could barely feel the pain as I pressed down with my weight for each step.

At first, we had started walking in silence, but that didn't last long. Cora, falling into step with me broke the silence with her high pitched declaration.

"I am going to teach you how to use your magic", she said.

I looked at her from the corner of my eye. I could barely see her face through the darkness, so I am sure she couldn't see the look of complete shock on mine.

"So, now you are going to teach me?", I scoffed.

"Obviously, it is too dangerous for you to be defenseless here. I was wrong to think that Larron would protect you."

"You are the only reason that I am here, Cora.", I started, but stopped as a particularly sharp barb sliced into my foot, causing a warm stream of blood to flow out.

"Ouch", I called out. Grabbing at the new wound.

A very stiff Derrick reached down and picked me up without effort and began to carry me the rest of the way. The action had silenced me. Partly because I was so relieved to have my cold feet off of the freezing earth and partly because it made me wonder why he hadn't done that from the start. He carried me with ease, his vampire strength not bothered by my weight. Yet, he remained distant and silent.

I had told him exactly what his father had said, careful to leave out the part about Reed not being able to watch us together. After that, he had been quiet and stiff. I leaned my head over on his shoulder, but he did not tilt his to cradle mine, simply continued to walk.

Cora and the others were discussing plans on how best to coax out my powers when we arrived back at Thorn Manor. We walked into the warmth and I realized that things were already starting to return to normal. Servants were running around with brooms and buckets, cleaning up the mess from "the sudden storm". I could tell that the witches from Cora's coven had been busy, since most of the windows and furniture was suddenly repaired like a war didn't just rip through this house less than an hour ago. Fires had been rekindled in each room to fight off the chill and it almost felt like we were walking back into our home.

Home? Was that what this place was now? My home? It was strange to think that this was starting to feel less like a prison to me with each passing day. Knowing that Larron had betrayed me was a blow. I had looked to him as a father and as a friend. Now, I questioned if I could trust anyone in this insane world of supernatural politics.

Suddenly, Derrick sat me down on my feet without warning. His eyes darting around taking in what was left of the destruction.

'I have to see to everything", he said. "I'll be back as soon as I can".

"Derrick?" I called after him, but he ignored me and walked away with a determined stride.

Sighing, I turned back and saw Cora huddled up and speaking quickly with Misty.

"Great", I muttered to myself as I hobbled over to see what they were saying.

"I think that we should just throw spells at her until her instincts kick in." she said. "That way, she can figure out how to take control of it."