Part 15: Chapters 31 & 32

Chapter 31

A Different Side of Darkness

We had driven for what seemed like only minutes before I felt the car start to slow down. At some point, my eyes had lost focus as I had escaped into the turmoil that was happening in my brain and I hadn't noticed the approaching lights or the sudden appearance of red lights and sidewalks.

"We are in the city?", I gaped, sitting up quickly and glancing over at Reed, who was wearing a smirk, as usual.

"I thought you could use a break", he said and then tried to make himself look less excited.

I could tell that it took effort and I remembered suddenly that I wasn't supposed to remember what he meant to me. So, I sighed and looked back out the window at the people walking lazily to their destinations, wrapped up in their thick coats and gloves.

I couldn't help myself and soon found that I had a smile on my face. One that I hadn't had since I'd arrived at Thorn Manor.

"Where are we going?", I asked him as he made a sharp turn onto a street that I didn't quite recognize.

"There is a little club on this road. It's vamp owned and has mostly a supernatural population. We should be safe there". He said, leaning over to make sure he could cut into a small parking spot by a dark building without hitting another vehicle.

Once parked, he got out and came around to open my door. I rushed to get my feet under me before he grabbed my hand and pulled me a little ways up the street to where people were standing and waiting in a line under a large black awning. A giant man with the biggest arms I had ever seen was standing at the head of the line with a clipboard. Obviously, he was the clubs bouncer and these people were trying to get in. I looked at the people in the line as we got closer and realized that they were all gorgeous and dressed to impress. Most of them turned to look back at me as we walked up, some going so far as to sniff the air in my direction.

"Ok, so these are all vampire", I thought to myself, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear and stepping a bit quicker to even my pace with Reed's. I tried to pull his hand, but he didn't slow down, so instead I whispered at him "It looks like it's all full".

Of course, he ignored me and pulled me straight past the line of people who suddenly made me feel like the ugliest person alive as they glared at me with our passing. Reed walked us straight up to the large bouncer and said "Carl".

"Your highness", Carl said in return with a little bow. Then, he reached over and pulled the little velvet rope aside and let us pass through to the door that red "Royal Arms" in the flickering of gas lamps posted on either side.

Once Reed reached forward and opened the door, a blast of warm air hit us and the beat of the music threatened to burst my ear drum. It took a moment for me to take in the interior of the club. It had been so quiet on the street outside, it was hard to believe that this type of activity could be going on in here. More magic, I guessed.

Rainbow lights filled the room in strobes. I could see that there were small tables everywhere around the outside of the room and bodies pressed together on a giant dance floor in the center. Above the floor, hung metal catwalks, that held dancers in extravagant outfits that were grinding and dipping to the music. People were everywhere and I felt a little subconscious of all the eyes that fell upon me as I moved along side of the vampire prince.

We pushed past the majority of the people and headed over to a small unoccupied alcove in the back left corner of the large room. Instead of being reset into the wall, the area had been curtained off for privacy and held a large and lavish sectional couch with plush pillows. A small table sat before it with a silver dish in the middle. Reed led me in and I sat down upon the couch.