Prologue

My breath was coming in shallow pants and I worked hard to get the ragged sound under control. My heart was beating so loudly through my ears, that I was sure that it could be heard through the thin door. It was cold here and my fingers were starting to get numb and my hands were beginning to shake. Despite everything, my body went into survival mode and I pressed myself further into the back wall of the tiny closet. I sucked in one unsteady breath and held it, straining to listen for any sound coming from the room outside. 

Finally, I heard what I had been waiting for. It was so faint, that I was almost afraid that I had imagined it. I knew that I hadn't though. He would be quiet. He was a predator and I was his prey. 

When I heard the footsteps outside the door, I shuttered. He had no reason to let me hear his steps. The fact that he was no longer hiding his movement could only mean one thing... he knew where I was and he was toying with me. 

"Come out, come out" he taunted me in a sing -song voice. 

I braced myself, ready to fight for my life. I let my frozen fingers push into the wood behind me, causing a burning pain to shoot through, as the feeling came back as the blood once again began to circulate there. I needed to be able to use my hands, I was at too big of a disadvantage as it was, being human and all. So, I gritted my teeth with the pain and steadied my feet, making sure I had my balance. 

When I heard the metallic squeak of the doorknob being turned, I didn't hesitate. The door opened and I pushed off the wall, letting out a warrior's scream. This was it, fight or flight. 

Too bad he was better at both.