Chapter One

Chapter One

"Be strong, Emma, and you will find hope." That was the only memory I have of my mother.

It was getting late. The streets were deserted. I have no family. No home. No life. No one loves me.

I redid my hair into a sleek braid. That was all I could do to prevent it from tangling. I left only two weeks ago...

To my right was a small building that was still being built. It was almost done. The building looked like it was going to be a small hotel. I smiled, and looked ahead. There were three men on horses a ways up the dirt road. They looked around 21 years old. One of them looked in my direction.

Oh shoot. My heart started racing. Around here, 16 year old girls are huge targets for guys like these.

"Yo, sweetheart. What are you doing walking around all alone at this time of night?" the tallest man yelled. The were already riding in my direction. "Usually when a girl is alone, it means she ain't got no man yet."

It was true. I'm not married, or even dating. I never fell in love back in Topeka. That's where I grew up. I'm a long ways from Topeka.

"Leave me alone," I muttered, sounding as ignorant as possible. There was a general store just a few feet away. If I could make it in time...

"I'm sorry, but here in Lawrence, we don't just leave girls alone. We like to show 'em what it's like to have a real man."

"Bye!" I smiled. I made it. The general store didn't have very many people, as it was probably around 11 p.m. The man at the register looked up from his newspaper.

"Why, what do we have here?" The man smiled. I knew he was just trying to be friendly, because there was a little boy, probably his son, standing next to me.

"I'm sorry, I really don't know where I am. I don't have a home, or a family." My voice was raspy. I hadn't had a drink if water for at least eight hours.

"Well, if you need somewhere to go, I heard they're looking for some young, orphaned men to work on the Pony Express. You look fit for the job."

"Oh, but sir-"

"There's an office a couple miles North of here where you can register," he interjected.

"Sir-"

"North is that direction." He pointed in the direction of another door. "And if those boys outside are bothering you, the back door is on the way anyway."

I guess it can't hurt. If this man believed I was a boy without even trying, it shouldn't be too hard to pretend to be a man. Even if someone did find out, I've been making it on my own for a while.

"Right this way, sir." The man put his hand on my shoulder, and escorted me to the back door. "If you ever become rich and famous, remember Jim from Lawrence, Kansas. That's me, by the way."

I'm confused. Rich and famous? The Pony Express? I opened my mouth to ask Jim, but he just smiled, and shut the door.

Well, if there was an office, there was a town. And even if I didn't join the Pony Express, then at least I might be able to start over. Maybe have a family, too. A girl can dream.

I best be on my way, if this town is a few miles away. I'm so tired...

A quick nap won't hurt...

------------------

I woke with the sun. I learned that in the plains, the sun can be your best friend, or your worst enemy. My best friend because it protects me from unwanted attention, but my worst enemy because of the blistering heat and the exposure.