Chapter Two

Everything is happening so fast. Yesterday, I was walking towards nothing. For the past few weeks, actually, I'd been walking to nothing. Now I might have a purpose in my life. Somebody might need me. Someone might want me...

"Sir?" The doctor looked at me. My head snapped up to meet his gaze. "We're done. If you would like to come back at 2 o'clock, we will be able to tell you if you got the job or not. For now, you should probably read about the job. Shawnee has many park benches. Make yourself comfortable." He smiled.

How am I supposed to know when 2 o'clock is? "There's a clock right over our heads, above the courthouse." The doctor answered, like he read my mind. He pushed the curtains aside, revealing the way out.

A man was standing in the way, though. "Excuse me." Oh no. I totally sounded like a woman just then. I cleared my throat, attempting to brush it off. My eyes went down to the floor. Mary always told me that I had the prettiest eyes for a young woman. They must be a dead giveaway.

But I couldn't help to look at the man. He was very handsome, and about 17 years old. He was very tall, and slim. A little bit of muscle, too. Small chunks of dirty blonde hair peeked out of his hat. His eyes were a gentle grey.

I tore my eyes away. I'm a man. Men don't stare, no, gawk at other men.

Anyway, I slipped through the space he had given me, and walked out of the courthouse. Before the doors shut behind me, I heard the doctor say two words. "Hello, Dane."

What a beautiful name. I never knew a Dane in Topeka. Thomas and Mary had a nephew named Daniel, but he was two years younger than me, and his name isn't Dane.

There was a park bench right outside the door. I might as well sit, since the clock said it was only 12:57. An hour and three minutes until 2 o'clock. Most women don't know math, but Thomas taught me so I could help when people payed for their rooms.

Since my hair was still tucked in my hat, I couldn't pull my hat over my face and nap like most cowboys. Instead, I stared at the people on the street, probably possessing the stupidest face possible.

My eyes did close, a few minutes later. They soon snapped open when I heard someone speak.

"Hey, I'm Dane." When I looked up, there was a hand outstretched. I sat up, and shook Dane's hand.

"Um, my name is Austin." I barely choked it out. Dane sat down next to me.

"So, um, you want to work on the Pony Express?" I could tell he didn't enjoy silence very much.

"Yep." I closed my eyes again, and pulled the hat down a little so that it looked like I wanted to sleep, but not so far that my hair fell out.

Luckily, Dane took the hint, and he pulled his hat down. I've learned never to fall asleep next to anyone.

I peeked at him out of the corner of my eye. There's no way that he's already asleep, but he is snoring softly. Dane's perfect jawline moved up and down with his body as he breathed. I smiled.

Normally, I would have gotten up, stretched, and went looking for a well to get a drink, but I didn't want to leave Dane all by himself. He would probably have been confused. I can get a drink later.

For now, I can just stare into the streets.

-------------------

The clock read 1:56 when I looked up at it. Since I've been sitting here, no man who appeared to be under 18 visited the courthouse.

I'm not really sure how to wake Dane up. Should I nudge him? Should I speak? I'm definitely not going to talk in case I sound like a woman again. Sucking in a deep breath, I give Dane's shoulder a little shove.

He stirs, and his hat falls to his lap. I can see his eyes again, now that he his awake.

"What time is it?" He yawned.

"1:57," I mutter.

"Three minutes." Dane stands up, and stretched. I do the same, because I really need to.

After stretching about every muscle in his body, Dane pushes the door open, and walks him. At first I am disgusted that he didn't let me go first, but to him, I'm not a woman.

"Congratulations! You two are the only ones who applied, so you guys got the jobs. You start tomorrow. Until then, you can stay in the Pony Express office. I imagine you two will be staying there a few times." The man behind the desk says.

Sorry if this chapter is a little short... But thank you guys so much don't forget to vote and share with your friends for faster updates!!!!!