[ book cover bagel ; the study partner ]

> > book cover bagel

for | GuildofGraphics

contest no. | 8

a/n | i made this last night but it was past my bedtime haha so i decided to post this today. this contest was super fun and i had the best time doing this. so the contest was to remake one of your old old old covers and so i dived into google images, searched up 'ladybirdcookie covers' and tried not to cringe as much as i can.

we also have to post three things we've learnt from designing and two things we wish we knew when we first started soooo here we go

3 things i've learnt

I ; the text and the editing are both equally important in the final result of the graphic. bad fonts or positioning of the text can ruin the whole graphic or the crappy image quality, or careless cutting can. try to learn how to juggle both without sacrificing the other.

II ; textures, lighting textures and colouring is amazing. simply magical. they work wonders and i normally choose a filter/s around the middle of the process of the cover instead of right at the end like most people i know do and whenever i toggle the view mode on it, i'm shocked at how much the filter has helped everything fit together like actually. they're a major factor in the quality of your work.

III ; mistakes are important. i made so many mistakes i cringe upon even now but it just made me realise how i could improve, how i could become even better next time round. learn from them instead of bashing your head repeatedly against the wall until you get a concussion bc i'm sure your doctor or anybody for that matter wouldn't recommend that.

2 things i wish i knew

I ; be unique!! have your own style and be original! sure, it's definitely fun to remake one of your idols' graphics or use it for inspiration but don't copy their entire style or anything. try not to personally benefit or gain from another's inspiration, for example being paid (real cash or not) for a cover you deliberately copied from somebody else. it's hard to find your own style and it usually takes a while to discover it but once you do, you can tick off 'have a signature style' off your graphic design bucket list!

II ; it's okay to be jealous at times or envy other people's talent or skills (truth be told, i've been there a few times). just don't let it consume you and mould into hate. ask them for help and let them know you admire their work. it really does turn out for the better and in no time, you're gonna be right up with them if you try your best

if you skipped all of that ^ don't worry, i would too XD but without further ado, here are the covers!

for good measure, the original picture for both covers

the old/original cover, beware and cover your eyes (such quality, very detail) not to mention that horrendous watermark (old cover shop memories smh)

the new and improved cover

thoughts and feedback is welcome c: