4: Bongo Bongo

I clench my teeth and stare down into the dark room that's lit only by the glowing, poisonous green liquid that pools around a large drum in the middle of it with spikes along its edge, which continues its silent, yet deafening, drumming. A bolt of fear sears through. I know I can defeat Bongo Bongo. I've done it once before. But I don't have the Eye of Truth this time, which means I need Ghirahim's help. He looks completely full of energy now thanks to the potion I gave him; but I still don't know if I can trust him. It's true he hasn't fooled me yet. But he's always mischievous. Causing me to wonder if he could change his mind and fool me for his own amusement at the drop of a hat.

At least, that's what my logical side is thinking. That strange, ancient feeling returns and is telling me to trust him. Like a voice deep within me is trying to guide my thoughts of him. But it doesn't seem to be from something outside of myself, so it seems I'm not being influenced by something else. Even my gut seems to agree on trusting him, and I don't normally question my intuition. But now, I seem to be doubting it.

"You know, if you persist clenching your jaw, your mouth will be clamped shut for this entire life and perhaps others," Ghirahim whispers as he leans closer to me, grazing a delicate, balmy finger along my jawline. "And I would prefer if that did not occur. It will make my teasing far more difficult. Granted, I do revel in a challenge."

I can feel my jaw relax at his touch and I sidestep away, being careful to stay away from the edge of the hole that drops to the accursed room below.

Ghirahim's voice becomes serious as he asks, "Are you able to see him?"

I shake my head.

"Then, I shall be your eyes, Skychild. Are you ready?"

I'm hesitant, but I nod my head, pushing my worries to the back of my mind for now. This isn't the time or place to lose my resolve just because of having to put my trust into someone new. Especially since he's been nothing but trusting so far. I didn't give Navi a second of doubt on my last journey. Wouldn't it be fair to do the same for Ghirahim? Even if he is a demon, he's yet to prove that his intentions are nothing but helpful yet.

So, I jump down through the hole, my stomach flying into my throat and an instinctual scream bleeds from behind my lips. I fall onto the center of the drum with a thump. Ghirahim appears right beside me in a flurry of diamonds and the drumming stops. In a blink of an eye, I see Bongo Bongo appear in front of us from the shadows. His form looks the same, but his raven-coloured skin that used to shine off the colours of green, purple, and pink is now a dull charcoal and seems like its missing in a lot of areas, leaving abyssal holes in its wake. I take this as a hopeful sign, wanting to believe that this proves that Ganondorf may have escaped his imprisonment or is breaking it, but he isn't at full strength. Yet.

Then, Bongo Bongo retreats into the shadows, as if it's a cloak for him, disappearing from my sight. I pull out my bow and nock an arrow, ready to fight as I did before. The smell of toxin and melting flesh fills my lungs just like last time. My stomach trembles in queasiness, causing me to regret eating before entering this temple. I'm disappointed that this smell never changed while so many other things have.

"Left!" Ghirahim shouts. I swear I can almost hear concern in his voice.

I turn to my left and set loose an arrow, only to be hit by a large, invisible force – Bongo Bongo's hand – that almost throws me off the drum. I hold onto the side of the giant instrument, the metal spikes along the side gleaming ominously green underneath my feet, and pull myself up, already feeling some bruises pulse into existence on my shoulders. I missed. I try running to the middle of the drum when I'm back on top of it, only for Bongo Bongo to begin drumming, causing me to jump all over the place.