16: Forest Temple

Ghirahim continues to stay silent, sending my mind and gut into spiraling worry. Is the reason so bad that he doesn't want to tell me? I wonder, my fingers twitching at my side in anticipation. I want to know the reason. No matter what it is, I won't judge him. We're soulmates and he just witnessed me fall to morally lesser actions earlier. What could be so horrible that he's abnormally silent? However, around me, Ghirahim can easily become strangely silent, while I seem to talk more than I feel I should. We're rubbing off onto each other in more ways than the obvious.

"Please, Ghirahim," I press. "No secrets. Remember?"

Ghirahim sighs, his earthen eyes drooping with worry and a look of shame taking over his usually mischievous features.

"There are two reasons monsters decline from engaging in combat with me," He starts, his voice low and breathy. He continues to avert his eyes from my direction as he speaks, fixating on the grey, stone stairs beside us. "One is simply because I am a demon and am naturally connected to darker energies and magics, despite using a large array of powers, even some from the light. However, the second reason is..."

He stops talking, his right hand playing with the fingers of his left gloved hand, pulling them slightly off his fingers to fiddle with the white fabric.

"Ghirahim, please finish. I won't think any less of you. I love you," I speak softly, but with conviction, earning a reaction from him.

He looks over at me, eyes wide with shock instead of worry. Then, his expression softens, and he gives me a small nod, his snowy hair moving with the small action.

Looking back down to his hands, Ghirahim continues, "The main reason monsters avoid my presences is...because..." He takes a deep breath, fixing his left glove so it fits perfectly on his hand again. "When I was once under Demise's command, he made it that my soul is loosely tied with his, to assure – in his mind – that I'll be an ally upon his revival. Thus, the monsters revere me as untouchable by a magical instinct, due to me being connected to the Demon King himself, and this is imprinted into the dark energies of this world permanently."

I stare at him, the news slamming into me. Ghirahim is connected to Ganondorf's soul?

"This is the reason why I wished to keep this hidden," he admits sorrowfully.

I look over to him and am surprised to see his head hanging low in shame. Then, the memory of my life when Ghirahim was controlled by Demise flashes in my mind, reminding me of the curse Demise placed upon me.

"You don't need to worry," I state, smiling in the direction of the man who holds my heart. "You may not have been there when this happened, but I must have told you in our previous life. Demise cursed both Zelda and I, as well, that whenever her and I reincarnate, he does as well. The four of us are all tied together, whether we like it or not. And, even if that weren't the case, I'd think no less of you for being cursed by him. I didn't even think less of you when you were controlled by him. Don't you remember?"

I steady my gaze on Ghirahim, seeing his eyes soften but staying wide. My words are true. I never thought less of him. Yes, I saw him as an adversary since he was in my way of protecting Zelda. But I had never outright hated him. Otherwise, why would I have given him a chance to be saved?

A light rouge is hints at Ghirahim's cheeks and his eyes start glistening. Is he close to tears? But, before I can think on it further, Ghirahim wraps his arms around my neck, pulling me into a tight hug.

"Thank you, Skychild," Ghirahim whispers, burying his face into the crook of my neck. "Thank you..."

Gently wrapping my arms around his waist, I pull him close and rub my hand in small circles over the small of his back, comfortingly massaging him. Just as I do so, my undershirt begins to dampen from Ghirahim's silent tears. It seems both of us are admitting difficult secrets and crying out our emotions today.