12: Morpha

After Ghirahim successfully removed my eye with magic and closed over the flesh in the socket, I drank another red potion to help take away the pain and speed up the healing process. Then, Ghirahim wrapped my eye and part of my face – in a similar fashion to an eyepatch – with bandages.

I look over at Ghirahim once he's finished, his gaze locked on the door that didn't open before the battle with Dark Link. His eyes look distant, as if his mind is in an entirely different realm.

"Ghirahim, are you so quiet lately because of your internal fight against Ganondorf?" I inquire softly, turning my head completely to the right so I can see his face clearly, since we're standing now and he's on my right side.

Suddenly, Ghirahim looks toward me, and he smirks widely, placing his hand on my cheek as his other hand is crossed over his torso, propping up his arm that's reaching for my face. His earthy eyes sparkle slightly with mischief again, yet they still look more mellow than they had before Ganondorf had first attacked him psychically. But his touch leaves sparks trailing in its wake.

"How flattering, Skychild. My heart swoons at your compassion for me!" He places his other hand over his heart and gazes at me dreamily.

Staring at Ghirahim, I can feel my expression change to be unimpressed as I let out a long sigh. He laughs and rubs his thumb against my cheek lightly, sending out more sparks along my skin, warming it with each stroke.

"Oh, how entertaining it is to pester you," He breathes, smirking wider until it almost looks like his face would split open. "However, I am grateful for your sympathy."

"Ghirahim, I'm serious," I press.

He lowers his hand from my face, his smirk faltering every so slightly. I catch his hand in mine before it returns to his side, squeezing it and intertwining our fingers.

"Partially," Ghirahim admits, staring directly into my eye. "But I am more so concerned for you. Others may be fooled by your stoic features, but I witness your expressions in your eyes. Well, eye, now. And, I have noticed your mind has been somewhere distant and forlorn."

I nod, looking away from his intense stare and toward the door we need pass through to finish the Water Temple.

"Link, I did not conceal anything from you. Nor do you need to with me," Ghirahim reminds.

"I know," I breathe, then look down at our interlocked fingers. "We'll talk about it after this temple, before we head off to the next."

Ghirahim lifts my chin, so I look at him, his expression still serious yet gentle. "I will hold you to that. Now, let us proceed out of this dreary place. I, on no occasion, considered I would grow discontent with the smell of water as I have now."

I smile lightly as I lead Ghirahim toward the next door, keeping our hands clasped together. We head through the now unlocked door, starting on the second half of the temple. However, this second half was harder than the first. My bandages were easily soaked from the water, which caused Ghirahim to use extra magic to keep them dry when we swam around. And the pathway of whirlpools had drained and irritated us to no bounds. In the end, we went through an entire bottle of green potion before we even made it in front of the boss room.

Standing in front of the large door with golden chains attached to a large, intricate golden lock in the middle, my muscles screech at me. Ghirahim looks like he's about to fall over from exhaustion. Yet, he keeps standing straight and proud, as if his dignity would shatter if he showed his fatigue. Granted, I know I'm not much better. Despite my aching body and the pain that's still searing in my lost eye, I keep myself standing straight and ready for battle. It gets me wondering if it's a trait from both of us being battle worn, or if we're still trying to impress the other.