9: Zora's Domain

Clenching my teeth at Ghirahim's reply, I feel my stomach writhe against my abdomen. Rage bubbles beneath my skin and shame spears through my heart. A mixture of thoughts and feelings swirls through my body and mind, forcing my muscles into a spasm of flexing and shaking that I can't seem to stop.

I feel Ghirahim's smooth, gloved hand touch my cheek; but I ignore the feeling of his prying eyes and focus on keeping my left arm around him while I rummage blindly through my pouches to get my ocarina. Once I finally find it, my temper teetering toward the edge, I pull Ghirahim as close to me as possible, causing him to drop his hand from my cheek. Managing to keep an arm wrapped around him, I play Epona's Song as my mind begins to use my rage and shame to focus.

After I play the comforting tune, I ignore the nostalgia pulling at my already frazzled mind and put away my ocarina. The thudding of hooves against dirt and grass comes into earshot as Epona whinnies to signal her coming arrival. Come to think of it, why hadn't I called Epona sooner, when I was running to Ghirahim in the first place? Then, I remember my instincts taking control, preventing me from thinking logically. Besides, even though Epona is the fastest horse in Hyrule, for her to get from wherever she was to me could have taken her longer than my running. And time wasn't on my side at that moment. Especially since I think I had left her with the Gerudo last.

Standing, I carefully make sure Ghirahim continues to have contact with my still-glowing left hand. Lifting him to his feet, I keep him close to my left side as I bring him over to Epona. She stops a few feet away from us, her instincts telling her to stay as far away from Castle Town as possible. I don't blame her. I'd stay as far away from this place as possible, as well, if it weren't my destiny to save Hyrule.

Holding Ghirahim's hand with my left one, I climb onto Epona's back and pull Ghirahim up by the hand I'm holding. Once he's mounted, I make sure to hold onto his hands, which he wraps around my waist, and I grab a hold of Epona's cottony mane with my right hand, spurring her forward with a squeeze of my legs and turning her around as I do so.

Without any hesitation, she turns and starts trotting away from Castle Town. Ghirahim's grip on my waist tightens and I can't tell if it's from any possibility that Ganondorf is still trying to enter his mind or if it's because he's not used to riding a horse. Either way, I squeeze his hand in reassurance and stare toward our next destination, Zora's Domain, as my mind jumbles through a myriad of thoughts.

If only I told Ghirahim to wait at Goron City while I got the potions, this wouldn't have happened. Or, if I just told him to wait by the gate outside of Kakariko Village or the gate at the end of the path to Death Mountain. He could have hidden himself there and would have been safe. It's my fault Ganondorf had the chance to try and wiggle his filthy way into Ghirahim's mind. It's my fault, for not listening to my nightmares sooner and telling someone, that Ganondorf's seal is breaking – or whatever was happening to it. It's my fault that corruption has befallen Hyrule once again. And now, it's my fault that this corruption is trying to take over Ghirahim once again.

Leading Epona over the bridge I had run over earlier, her hooves clipping and clopping on the hard stone, I lead her toward a singular tree by the stairs to Kakariko Village. Ghirahim's grip tightens on my waist once more and his body tenses behind me.

"We are returning to that village?" Ghirahim asks, his voice tired and his tone strained, but panic still noticeable behind it all. "I would rather stay on the horse," He mumbles afterward.

I briefly wonder if that last comment was meant for my ears. But now I know he isn't comfortable with horseback riding. I turn slightly to Ghirahim and shake my head in response as I stop Epona by the tree and jump off. I keep a hand on Ghirahim as I help him off her and I quickly pat Epona with my free right hand, then pull Ghirahim behind me with my left. Whatever my Triforce of Courage is doing to help him, I won't let it stop so long as it's glowing. And, so far, it still is.