14: Kokiri Forest

Ghirahim kneels in front of me, extending his hand and petting my head with his temperate palm. His gentle strokes soothe my panic, but I'm still wondering why I'm a wolf again. What triggered this transformation? It must be something to do with Dark Link. Is it because he attempted to take over again without me noticing? Is he not as connected to me as I'm hoping he is? Do I have to do more to connect us?

"Skychild, listen to me," Ghirahim's soothing voice chimes through my whirring thoughts. I look toward him, and he smiles to me as he continues to stroke my head. "Calm your mind. Recall your happiest moments, as I have taught you. You are more than capable to accomplish this task."

Giving him a single nod, his hand leaves from atop my head and I start thinking about my happiest memories. I think of my time as a hero and all the amazing memories of Ghirahim and I, along with the many new ones we are currently making. Of the adrenaline that shoots through my veins at every fight, of the overflowing satisfaction of completing a puzzle to move forward in a temple, and the feeling of Ghirahim's heated body touching mine, whether intimately or soothingly, along with the sound of his teasing voice and his ever smiling, pale face.

Soon enough, I'm feeling the familiar pains of transformation. And, once the aches and spikes of agony dissipate, I'm standing once more on my two Hylian feet, Ghirahim now standing in front of me. Granted, when I open my eyes, I'm still shorter than Ghirahim. But that's to no surprise.

"Why are you so much taller than I am?" I immediately ask. "You mustn't be much older than I am. At least, I don't think so."

He chuckles, "I ought to be interrogating you, Skychild, regarding your sudden transformation. Not answering your inquiries over, now, less trivial subjects."

I scoff, "I'll answer your question if you answer mine. Including about your age."

Smirking, he nods. "As you wish. Yes, if I am correct that you are seventeen years of age, then I am the same age as you. My height, however, is due to my demon heritage. Demons reach their growth spurt far earlier than any human does; usually the moment we reach proper adulthood between the ages of thirteen and fifteen. Hence why infantile demons are almost unheard of in the ridiculous, spooky tales your people fantasize over us."

"Then we are the same age. Interesting," I mutter and stow away this new piece of knowledge into the back of my mind.

"Now, you must abide by your side of our deal and tell me about the reasoning for your sudden transformation," He remarks, cocking his head. Curiosity and concern twinkle in his eyes as he awaits my response.

I nod and motion for Ghirahim to follow me toward the dark, large, hollowed log that will lead us to the bridge into Kokiri Forest. As his footsteps silently brush against the grass beside my own, I explained how I began to think about my failures toward my friends from my past adventure, and how I felt worthless and nothing like a hero because of those thoughts. Placing his hand atop my shoulder, Ghirahim lightly massages the taut muscles, loosening the tension I hadn't realized had become so bad.

"There is no need for such thoughts, Link," Ghirahim assures. "You had accomplished all you could, within your power, for those companions. Wallowing within self-pity shall only usher in continuous control for your darker side, eventually leading him to regain his own corporeal form."

I nod lightly, taking in his words. It seems my own low self-esteem is the cause for Dark Link's existence. What irony. The legendary hero, known for being Farore's chosen and the representation of the Triforce of Courage with the constantly reincarnated hero's spirit within, has little self-confidence. I'll have to work on that.

"Do not fret," Ghirahim continues. "It will take quite some time for Dark Link to regain enough control to become corporeal once more. You are in no impending danger of losing yourself, nor will you fail to save Hyrule, since it is your desire. However, intense, negative emotion will spring forward another transformation. So, I urge you, be cautious when and where you become so dampen. At least, for the time being, while you work on a method to combat this."