Chapter 8

Nagisa's POV

I'd woken up this morning to my mother shaking my shoulder and calling my name "Nagisa I just came back from my shopping trip" She gleefully exclaimed waving the overflowing bags in the air. When I hadn't moved her face darkened "Come now Nagisa-Chan put on the clothes for mommy, aren't you grateful" she asked forcefully.

I knew that there wasn't anyway I could get out of this, not without angering her anyway so I tried to appeal to her, I had to be ready for my tutoring later maybe I could use that as an excuse.

"Mother I would love to really" I began upon hearing my words her her eyes narrowed and a dark glint entered her eyes.

"I want to spend all that time trying on clothes" I tried to amend "but I'm afraid I have to be ready for tutoring later so I don't think I can try on all the clothes right away"

Her jovial smile returned to her face and for a moment I felt a pang in my stomach, wistful that I'd never have a mother who loved me for me. I pushed my feelings down I would agonise over them later when I was alone and nobody would see the hot drops of water glistening on my cheeks.

"Well we'd better get started so that you can try on as many outfits as you can"

A few minutes later I'd tried on half a bag of clothes and a thin layer of perspiration had begun to cover my body, never mind training with Karasuma trying on clothes was a workout itself.

There was a short rap on the door before my mother entered she looked me up and down and gave me an appreciative look "You look so pretty in that skirt, I don't like the top though" she commented in relation to the short pink pleated skirt and lime green ruffled shirt I was wearing.

She stood still for a moment a rare moment of calm flitting over her face her eyes softened and a lump rose in my throat I hated when she was like this the most, normal. The expression only lasted a second before the usual glassy sheen re-entered her wide eyes.

Reaching for the bag she ruffled through some articles of clothing flinging some on the ground until her eyes lit up and she stood up with a flimsy piece of material in her hands "I want you to try-"

Her demand was interrupted by a rumbling sound emanating from my stomach a cold shard of fear shot through me as I looked up into my mothers eyes. A long moment passed before the corners of her mouth quirked up into a smile.

"It's seems my darling is hungry I can't let you starve like those other girls so I will cook breakfast for you while you try on this dress" she said throwing the material into my arms and turning to leave.

The relief covered my entire body sometimes she'd get angry as if being hungry was something only boys had and it reminded her that I wasn't a girl.

Nevertheless I removed the shirt and skirt and pulled the dress over my head and turned to look in the mirror.

The blue dress matched my eyes it had spaghetti straps and a ruffled bodice that disguised my lack of a chest. The skirt of the dress hung loose around my body.

The dress was nice, very nice but I wasn't comfortable wearing it, I was never comfortable wearing the clothing my mother picked out not that she ever listened.

I was interrupted from my thoughts as a knock echoed throughout the house on the front door not my bedroom door this time.

"Nagisa answer the door will you" my mother called.

I'd forgotten that she'd been cooking she hated to leave food unattended or imperfect. I reluctantly left the familiarity of my room and slowly turned the handle the coldness seeping into my fingers. I opened the door and saw familiar purple eyes rounded in shock as his bright smile faltered.

"Asano" I muttered breathlessly not sure what else to say.

A tinge of red appeared on his cheeks and he averted his gaze "What time is your tutoring at" He asked looking at a spot directly behind  me.

I twisted around to stare at the clock hanging on the wall, ticking away obliviously "In two hours" I answered.

Asano nodded once before turning on his heel and walking away without a second glance leaving me confused and ashamed.

"Nagisa" my mother called from behind me I turned around and looked at her questioningly

"Who was at the door" She asked exasperatedly looking expectantly at me. I scrambled through my mind looking for a believable excuse "The postman" I blurted out without a second thought.

My mother held her hand out and it took me a second to realise that she was looking for the post "He said that he didn't have any post" I explained hoping that my mother would believe my flimsy excuse.

She looked closely at me her blue eyes boring into my own, similar yet so different from mine.

Her back straightened and she shrugged her shoulders delicately "Strange practises these days" she replied dismissively

I laughed and she awarded me with a smile that didn't reach her eyes, they never did.

"Get into your other clothes and come and eat breakfast" she ordered I nearly ran to my room relieved for the short break I didn't think that I could keep this up any longer being the good little girl for my mother.

As I entered my room I saw the clothing laying on my bed and couldn't help wonder when she had the chance to pick and lay them out.

After checking myself in the mirror for any tags, I deemed myself acceptable. The clothes  were passable, better even.

I was wearing a light blue hoodie with no sleeves and a white zip. The hoodie had been bought from the petite women's aisle of course and even then it was unnervingly tight, I could move but you could see my lack of breasts, which I wasn't sure would be alright with my mother. I was thankfully wearing pants. They were black (like Karma's soul...sorry 😐) and loose enough, I would probably be able to deliver a roundhouse kick if I just loosened a few seams.

When had my worrying thoughts about my clothes turned from, whether my mother would accept them, to can I fight in these?

I scoffed and slid my feet into the matching sneakers. They matched the hoodie, and the hoodie matched my hair if course, what didn't with my mother.

I left my room and sat down at the table where a plate of food was waiting for me.

"Dig in, princess" my mother exclaimed gesturing towards the food. "I have to go now, work,work,work" she giggled opening the door and leaving without a single glance back at me.

An evil grin slowly spread across my face. I was alone, I could do what I wanted and my mother hadn't commented on my clothes.

My smile dimmed as I realised that I had an hour and a half until I saw Asano. How exactly would I explain what he had seen earlier, would he hate me for it. Perhaps I should just tell him about my mother. That might make things easier or worse but either way, I better find some excuse to tell him and fast.