15 Sirius Black x Reader || Kindred Spirits

Young Sirius Black x Reader (f). Marauder Era. 

You can't sleep. Again. It's the nightmares - you live them in the day and are kept awake by them at night. There was another three younger students hospitalised today, all muggle borns like you. Not to mentioned the killings You-Know-Who and the Death Eaters have been orchestrating.

You shudder and wrap your grey cardigan tighter around yourself as you slip out of your dorm. You've taken to wandering the castle at night, exploring seems somehow more productive than just laying there awake. You pad past an open classroom door and peer inside to see the outline of Sirius Black scribbling in a mole skin journal, illuminated by the light of the silver moon streaming in through the dusty window pane. His dark hair is sticking up at all angles and he's gnawing on his lower lip as he scrawls.

"Whatcha writing?", you ask softly leaning into the doorframe and causing him to jump. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you"

"S'alright", Sirius half-smirks, closing the journal and protectively hugging it to his chest. "What're you doing up?"

"Nightmares", you say with a shrug, although your honesty surprises even you. It seems to surprise Sirius too, as his facial expression softens and he pats the ground next to him.

"Come sit"

The invitation warms you. You've always fancied Sirius, although what seventh year girl hasn't, but it was more than that. You felt almost like kindred spirits, two sides of the same coin. The pure and the mud, both running from the same people but for vastly different reasons. You tell him this as the wind whistles though a crack in glass of one of the panes. He nods.

"Times are tough, but we're tough too", he squeezes your knee sending golden sparks rushing up your body and colouring your cheeks in the dark.

"We are", you smile and rest your weary head on his shoulder.