Out of Control

"I thought you said this battle was going to be small?" Y/N said as she and Shiro ran down the hallway.

"I did, but I guess that is the funny thing about battles. You never know how big is going to be until you are in the midst of it." Shiro joked as he pulled Y/N back right as laser zoomed past her.

"I feel like you somehow managed to make a sex joke in the middle of a fight and I am not sure whether to laugh or punch you." Y/N said as they continued to make their way through the ship.

They came to a large open area that looked like it normally should be filled with soldiers and ships, but was eerily empty. They both tensed, ready to take on whatever enemy would appear.

An evil laugh broke through the silence in the room. Echoing off the walls and all around Shiro and Y/N. They turned, looking for the source of the noise, but finding nothing.

"We need to get out of here." Shiro said as he continued to scan the room. Y/N nodded and grabbed his arm, guiding him to the door as he watched for any enemy.

Suddenly, his galra arm began to glow. Y/N, unfortunately, was holding onto this arm and had to drop it. She hissed and shook her hands, hoping the pain would fade soon.

"God, Shiro, give me some warning next time." She said as she turned to face him. She lept out of the way just in time to avoid his arm thrusting at her. "Shiro, what the fuck are you doing?"

"I'm not doing that, something is wrong." He said as he advanced, swinging at her again.

"Actually, I would say something is finally right." A voice said as a figure stepped from the shadows. Shiro turned to look at her as his body continued to resist him and attack Y/N.

"Hagar." He growled.

"Yes, Champion. You are finally going to be the weapon the Empire needs. Whether you want to or not." The cloaked figure said as she watched him knock Y/N off her feet. He would have finished the fight right then, if not for Y/N rolling out of the way just in time.

"Shiro, I don't know how much longer I can do this." Y/N panted as she dodged him again. She managed to push him down and run across the room to the door, but it was sealed shut.

"You have to, Y/N. I know you can do it. Just keep on being strong for me, darling." Shiro cried as he felt his body rush her again. She wasn't as fast this time and his human hand connected with her face. He heard a sickening thud and her grunt as she twisted away, somehow maintaining her footing.

"I'm so proud of you, love. Just keep fighting. The others should be on their way." He encouraged as she dodged him again.

"I'm growing bored of watching you play with her champion. Finish her now!" Hagar commanded, her magic spreading across the room like lightning strikes. Shiro's human hand grabbed Y/N's arm and pulled her close as his glowing galra hand thrusted through her abdomen. He watched in horror as Y/N's eyes widened in pain and tears streamed down her face.

He could feel Hagar's power over him wane as he held his girlfriend in his arms.

"No." He gasped. He pulled his hand out of her and ignored the blood coating it. He gathered her in his arms and cradled her face close to his.

"It isn't your fault." Y/N rasped. "I love you so much and I forgive you." Shiro watched as his tears mixed with hers. She gently wiped the tears from his face. He held her hand to his face and closed his eyes. He felt her hand go limp and sobbed harder. He didn't open his eyes as he clutched her close to his chest.

After a while, he heard the door open and the others run in, but it was like they were speaking to him from a distance. He didn't move as he felt someone kneel next to him and ask him a question. He didn't open his eyes when he felt someone brush the hair from his face.

He only moved when he felt someone attempt to pry Y/N's body from his arms. "No!" He cried out, opening his eyes and focusing them on Keith who was trying to get him up.

"Shiro, we have to get out of here." He said, once again grabbing for Shiro's arm. "Reinforcements for the Galra are coming and we can't be here when they arrive."

"Just leave me here! Don't you get it? I killed her." Shiro sobbed as he held up his galra arm.

Keith paled, but grabbed Shiro's blood hand. "We can deal with that later. When we are on the ship."

He managed to convince Shiro to get up and helped carry Y/N's body back to the lions. Shiro was in no condition to pilot as he collapsed on the floor of the cockpit in the black lion. Keith piloted them back as Red trailed behind.

"Keith, do you have Shiro and Y/N?" He heard Allura's voice through the comm.

"Y/N is dead." Keith said quietly. There was silence on the line for several moments.

"And Shiro?" Allura whispered.

"He's pretty broken up about it." Keith said as the black and red lions entered the castle. The team didn't rush to meet them like they usually did. They stayed back as they watched Keith lead Shiro out and carrying Y/N's body. They laid her out on a table and Shiro once again held her close.

No one said a word as they watched the black paladin break apart. One by one, they all filed out until Shiro was left alone. He pulled back from holding her and brushed the hair from her face. Her face was peaceful despite the way in which she died. He carefully arranged her hands over the wound his arm had caused.

"I know you said you forgave me, but I can't forgive myself. I don't know how I possibly could. I killed you. The love of my life and I killed you." He sobbed. He went to wipe the tears from his face when he caught sight of his arm. The weapon that had ended her life. He quickly detached it from his body and threw it across the room. "I can't do this. Not without you. I refuse to use that arm ever again and I cannot pilot Black with only one arm. Not that a murderer deserves to be a paladin of Voltron anyways." He sighed as he wiped some of his tears off her face. "I'm so sorry, my love." He said as he left the room, leaving his arm and his title as the Black paladin behind.