Birthday Cuddles

Shiro cringed as Lance dropped the cake pan... For the third time.

"If you keep making that much noise, you are going to wake Y/N up." Keith grumbled as he mixed the contents of a bowl.

"Shut up, Mullet. I'll make all the noise I want." Lance cried out. He saw the glare Shiro sent him and winced. "But I will also be careful not to spoil our surprise."

Pidge snorted as she finished wrapping the presents. She had no skills in baking or cooking and had been relegated to gift wrapping duty. Which was fine with her as she actually wanted to be able to eat some of the things made today.

Hunk looked at the bowl Keith was stirring before pouring something else in. "Okay, keep stirring this until this is all combined. Lance, is the oven up to temperature yet?"

Lance looked over at the display before saluting at Hunk. "Sir, yes, sir!"

"Good. Now I need to start on the icing." Hunk said as he grabbed another bowl.

"We actually told Coran about icing and he helped us pick some up from the store yesterday." Shiro said as he opened the cabinet.

"We are not putting that store bought filth on my creation." Hunk said in a horrified tone. Shiro slowly closed the cabinet and shook his head. He made sure everything was being taken care of before he went to the bedroom he shared with Y/N.

They had been dating quite a while and he honestly couldn't believe how lucky he was to be with her. He honestly had never loved another person in his life the way he loved her. He quietly walked into the dark room.

Y/N was still fast asleep in their bed. He smiled and walked over to his side. He carefully slid between the sheets and gently pulled her close. Y/N didn't wake up, but nestled closer into him. Shiro smiled and let himself drift back off to sleep.

He woke up two hours later to his phone buzzing underneath his pillow. Y/N was still asleep in his arms so he carefully moved to get his phone.

He checked his texts and found one from Keith telling him the kitchen was clear and breakfast had been made. Shiro smiled and turned off his phone. He gently rubbed up and down Y/N's back and kissed her head. "Hey, breakfast is ready." He murmured against her hair.

Y/N groaned and pressed closer to him. "I don't want to eat yet. I just want to cuddle you." She murmured against his shoulder.

Shiro laughed and pulled back a bit. "How about I cuddle you while we eat breakfast?"

Y/N looked up at him and nodded. Shiro entangled himself from holding her and went to the kitchen. He found the food the others had left and located a tray to put it on. He loaded it up and went back to the room. He found Y/N burrowed under their covers. "Wake up, sleepy head. I brought you something to eat." He said as he laid the tray down on their dresser

Y/N whined and sat up, her hair all wild and crazy about her head. Shiro laughed and smoothed it down. Y/N grabbed his hand and kissed his palm before letting go. "You said you brought food?" She said as she stretched. Her back popped and she hummed.

Shiro handed her the tray before getting into bed. They sat there and ate as they talked about their plans for the day. "Is staying in bed and cuddling really all you want to do?" Shiro asked incredulously.

"Well not really, but what else are we going to do in space? It isn't like Disney World is an option." Y/N pointed out.

Shiro nodded and sighed. "If it is what you want to do then we will do it."

Y/N smiled and kissed him on the cheek. They finished the food and laid in bed for a while. The day passed quickly while they were in each other's arms, just talking about life and dreams and the things they wished they could do.

Shiro smiled when he felt his phone buzz again. He checked it and this time Lance had texted him. "If you two aren't too busy being busy ;) the party is ready."

"As much as I have loved being lazy with you, we should go clean up the kitchen. I told the other paladins that we would clean up if they left us alone all day." Shiro said as he got up.

"I feel like I should have been part of the decision making process for that." Y/N grumbled as she got up. They made their way to the kitchen, where the lights were off.

Y/N walked in first and jumped when the lights came on. "Happy Birthday!" The paladins, Allura, and Coran cried out.

"Aw, you guys!" Y/N said as she surveyed the room. There was a cake on the table (how they had located ingredients that would come together to make anything even remotely resembling a cake was beyond her) and decorations and presents. "How did you guys now?"

"Shiro told us that back on Earth it is customary to celebrate the day one is born. And every Earth year, too! You little creatures sure like to party." Coran said with a laugh.

"At any rate, we are very happy to celebrate this special day with you." Allura said as she gave Y/N a hug.

"This talking is great and all, but can we skip to the part where we eat Hunk's cake?" Lance said "None of us have had anything remotely resembling Earth food in years."

"It's Y/N's birthday. And we have only been gone nine months." Pidge pointed out.

"Well, Happy Birthday, Y/N, now can we eat cake?" Everyone laughed at Lance's antics.

The party was good fun. The cake didn't taste quite like what Hunk had planned, but it was still sweet and very good.

The presents were mostly homemade. Hunk made a frisbee using his previously disastrous, but slightly useful cookie recipe. Pidge had made an electronic album that held pictures of all the planets they had visited and some of their best and funniest moments together. Keith had whittled a piece of wood into the shape of a lion. He blushed when Y/N gave him a hug. Lance had kept a couple really cool seashells from his and Hunk's adventure on the underwater planet. He gave her his favorite of the shells, an iridescent teal one that reflected rainbows. Allura gave Y/N a bracelet she had once worn.

"I cannot take this from you, Princess." Y/N said, holding it out for her to take back.

"Nonsense," Allura said, refusing to take it. "I have another that looks just like it."

Coran gave Y/N a crystal he had been given the last time he visited the Balmera.

"Thank you for all of these gifts. I love them all." Y/N said with a smile.

"I still have one to give you." Shiro said.

"I thought arranging for all this was your gift." Y/N teased.

"Not quite." Shiro laughed nervously. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a chain. He laid it in the palm of Y/N's hand.

"Your dog tags?" Y/N gasped.

"Yep," Shiro nodded. "I took them on the Kerberos mission with me. I've carried them this entire time."

"What are 'dog tags'?" Allura asked.

"Dog tags are a necklace that members of the armed forces wear. They identify the soldier who carries them. All Garrison students have them." Lance said as he and the others lifted theirs up.

"And I want you to have mine." Shiro said as he cradled Y/N's face in his hand. Y/N smiled and wrapped her arms around him. "Thank you." She breathed as she pressed close.

"Happy Birthday, Y/N." Shiro whispered as he caressed her head.