Under The Sea

Curiously, you slowly walked through the streets of New Orleans. Never had you seen a city like that although this wasn't the first time onshore for you. Whenever you felt like visiting people on land and seeing their world, you came out of the water and your fin would turn into human legs and feet. Yes, you were a mermaid but you would have loved to rather live on land, in that colorful, exciting world and not down in the sea, where some places were so dark, you couldn't even see anything.

But you had no choice: you could only stay on land for a month before you would have to go back into water and stay there for at least half a year. For now though, you could live wherever you wanted to. And what you had seen of New Orleans already looked lovely.

It was when you just had crossed the street when a man grabbed your arm and held you back. You knew, men got attracted to you easily, that happened with all the mermaids that lived onshore sometimes. But so far, there hadn't been a man you would have thought he'd be worth more than a night or two. Maybe you had broken a lot of hearts during those almost hundred years you were living on this earth or sea.

"Hey, beautiful", the man now said and smiled at you as if he thought you would immediately fall for him. "Would you like to have a drink with me or so?"

You shook your head at his words. "No, thanks. I'm not interested", you politely said and tried to free your arm. But he didn't want to let go of you. Instead, he tried to press himself against you and in this moment you had wished, that you would have stayed in the ocean, where you actually belonged.

"Hey, she told you she isn't interested!" A tall, handsome man with dark hair had appeared out of nowhere and had now grabbed the other man's hand. He let go of you immediately. The dark haired man stared into the other man's eyes while he quietly said: "And now, leave and forget about her." The man nodded, turned around and walked away.

You watched him leave and for a moment, your thoughts were running through your mind. This man, who was still standing next to you, had just manipulated the other one, you were sure about that. You were a supernatural creature and you recognize others too.

"Are you alright?", the guy asked and you turned around again. "Yes, I am thank you." You gave him a smile.

"I'm Elijah", he said and reached out a hand. "And I assume you're a vampire", you said as you grabbed his hand and you couldn't hold back a grin when you saw his eyes widen. "How-", he started, but didn't know how to continue. You chuckled. "You just manipulated this guy to forget about me. You must be one", you simply explained while he examined you, frowning.

"Who are you?", he then quietly asked and you thought it would be safe to tell him the truth. He was a supernatural creature as well and he had just helped you out. "I'm Y/N. A mermaid."

And so, you and Elijah kept on talking while you walked down the streets of New Orleans. He was amazed to have met someone like you since he'd never had a chance to meet a mermaid. He was curious and wanted to know everything: How did you live? How was the sea? How come that you could walk on land?

Patiently, you explained him everything as you sat outside a café, drinking something. "I'm living in the atlantic near the Caribbean. It's like...a town or something. Yeah, I guess you can call it a town. There are little houses made out of seashells and stone. Most of us never come out of the water and want to live onshore."

"But you want to?", Elijah said before he took a sip of his coffee.

You nodded. "Yes. I like the humans, somehow. I'm fascinated by how they live and I like to walk around on actual legs." You smiled at him when you saw him smirk. He was the first man who treated you like you with respect. But well, he wasn't a human, so maybe that was the reason for his behavior.

~

Two weeks later you were sure that you had fallen in love for the first time in your long life. And you knew, Elijah felt the same for you. You had spent time together, as much as you could since you both knew that your time onshore was limited. Not long anymore, and you'd have to go back into the ocean for months.

"Isn't there anything we could do that you could stay onshore with me?", Elijah asked one day when you both were snuggled up in his bed.

You shook your head and pressed yourself closer to the vampire's body. "Unfortunately, no. It's like a law that nobody can change, you know?"

Elijah nodded and let out a deep sigh. He couldn't believe that he had finally found someone he could imagine being with forever and then of all things it was a mermaid. But he couldn't help it, he had fallen in love.

He pressed a kiss on your forehead and then brushed some of your ginger hair out of your face. You closed your eyes and enjoyed his little touches. Too soon you'd have to go again and be without him and his touches.

"When will you have to leave?", Elijah murmured against your lips.

"In a week", you replied before you kissed him. You didn't want to talk about that moment. You didn't want to talk about what would happen when you were gone again.

~

But one week later, you couldn't hide from reality anymore. Elijah had brought you to a beach, not far away from New Orleans. Your heart was heavy when you got out of the car and felt the sea breeze on your skin and smelled the salty sea. Your home. A home that suddenly didn't feel like a home anymore.

Sighing, you turned around to face Elijah. He had hidden his hand in the pockets of his pants and looked more serious than you had ever seen him so far. You reached out a hand and placed it on his chest. He took that as a sign to come closer and wrapped his arms tightly around you.

"This isn't fair", you whispered and he just nodded.

"I will miss you more than you can imagine", he then finally said while his hand stroked your cheek. You smiled. You could imagine how much he'd miss you because you'd miss him at least as much.

"I'll come back, Elijah. I promise", you whispered against his lips before you kissed them. You swallowed to hold back the tears that had forming in your eyes. No, you couldn't cry now, not in front of Elijah. It would make it even harder for him.

He grabbed your hand as you walked towards the water. You both were the only ones here at that time. It was early morning. As soon as the sun would be fully up, your legs would turn into a fin again. And this would happen any minute now.

"Elijah", you started, but he pressed a finger on your lips before you could continue.

"Shh. Don't say anything", he quietly said.

"It's time", you said as you glanced at the sun rising. Elijah nodded and pulled you into a tight hug before he kissed you once more. Then, you slowly walked into the water. As soon as your feet touched it, you could feel them turning into fins and you quickly sat down, or you'd fall.

Fascinated, Elijah examined the whole process as your well-formed legs turned into a beautifully blue fin.

"Wow", Elijah murmured, but he didn't move from where he was standing. He just stared at you.

"That's what I am", you said and couldn't hide that you felt insecure. What if he didn't feel the same for you anymore after seeing you turning into what you really were? But Elijah smiled.

"You're beautiful", he simply said, what put a huge smile on your face. Then, you could feel the sea calling you.

"I'll come back", you promised as you started to swim away from the beach.

"And I will wait for you", Elijah promised and lifted one hand to wave you goodbye.

"I love you", you whispered, before you dived into the cold, salty water and disappeared into the darkness of the ocean. 

To be continued...