|| Bloody Birthday ||

Akina's POV

   It was my birthday tomorrow. I've already told Zero and Yuki. What I haven't told them was that on my birthday... my family was killed. I had a bad feeling about tomorrow. It was like something was going to happen to me. I could feel it inside. My inner demon felt like it was coming out. I needed something to keep it in. I went to Kaien Cross, the headmaster, and explained everything that I felt. I felt more comfortable with him after we studied the amulet, I usually went to him when I began to have gut wrenching feelings about my vampire self coming out. He gave me a necklace with a small charm attached to the chain. It had a design of a red rose with silver linings.

"Keep this on the whole day tomorrow." He smiled and told me to consider it a birthday gift. I nodded, thanked him and headed out of the room. I stared at the necklace, but still had a bad feeling though. I tried not to think about it and went to class. Mr. Cross moved me to night classes after knowing I was a vampire as well. He didn't really trust me with the humans that much anymore and honestly, I wouldn't trust myself either. I wore the night class uniforms, but it didn't really suit my tastes; however, I had to put up with it.
I entered the classroom and everyone's eyes were on me. It was dark and gloomy. The only light that lit up the room was the moon shining in from the window. 
I walked up the stairs as I felt that all of the vampires eyes were on me. I made eye contact with one of them. He had dark hair and red eyes just like mine. He smiled and I looked away after a few seconds and sat at a seat farther away from everyone else. Everyone here were monsters, the same monster that killed my family. I was one of them. I tried not to get in contact with any of them. I stayed silent in my cold, isolated seat. Everyone else started talking to each other when the guy, who I had made eye contact earlier, came up to me. He smiled and introduced himself.

"Hello there. I am Kaname Kuran." He smiled at me waiting for my introduction. I sighed and introduced myself.

"I am Akina Kushinada." We stared at each other in silence until a lady with long light brown hair came up to Kaname and started whispering into his ear. She dragged him away from me as I watched them leave. The final bell rang and I got out of my seat in order to head out of the room. Then, as I was putting all my stuff together, I felt a stare from behind. I quickly looked behind me but no one was there. I started to hate the night classes more and more as I went and got my stuff all packed up and left the room as quickly as possible. Before I went out the door, I saw the same vampire who sucked on the blood through Yuki's hand. I became angry and clicked my tongue, avoiding the thought of beating him up. I rushed past that guy, but he caught me, "Hey, new girl." He hollered, but didn't turn around at all and just kept walking in disgust. 
   I went to the moon dormitory, and locked myself in my room, making sure no one was following me. I didn't share it with anybody so, I had this room all to myself. I lied down on my bed as my eye lids grew heavier and heavier. Then, I heard the door creak open. A girl came in. Her hair was shoulder length and was red, her eyes were as golden as the sun. She started to speak to me.

"Hello there. I am your new room mate, Karen Sirotsu. And what is your name?" She says in a small, hushed voice, and smiles.

"I am.. Akina Kushinada." Another vampire. The headmaster said I can have this room all to myself?! Does this day get any worse? She sets her stuff on the left side of the bed next to mine. I lied down and fell asleep instantly. I heard noises but ignored them.
   I woke up in my dark room in the morning.
"It's my birthday today." I whispered to myself. I wasn't as excited as I was before. Instead I felt devastated. I got up and got ready for a new day. Since I had night classes, I had to wait for midnight. Which was a pain. I brushed my hair and noticed it was already touching the floor. I cut it so it would be thigh length. I still wanted it long no matter what. I put it in a high ponytail to make it look shorter. I forced a smile and sang happy birthday to myself in the mirror. I was alone. Zero had day classes and so did Yuki. I hated the vampires and refused to make friends with any of them. All I could do was stare at myself in the mirror. Confusing as it is, I thought vampires couldn't see themselves. Stereotypes sometimes drive you insane. Then I looked at my bare neck. I remembered the necklace I had to put on. I didn't remember taking it off. I ran back into my room and searched my desk. It wasn't there. I searched my bag. It wasn't there either. I started to freak out a bit. I didn't know what to do, so I went to the head masters room, but he wasn't there. Every thing I needed wasn't there for me. Now I really felt alone. I started breathing heavily, but I went out to the town to set my mind on other things.
   As soon as I got into town, I felt hot. Everyone around me becomes blurry. I couldn't keep my balance. I sat at a near by bench and tried to regain my focus. Everything turned red around me. I lost consciousness. I could only see a few things. But it wasn't as clear because I couldn't see very well. I felt something take over my body. I was moving, but it wasn't me moving my body. I was scared.
   I opened my eyes and I found that I wasn't at the bench anymore. There was blood on my clothes. I was shocked in fear. I looked around and didn't know where I was. I started freaking out.

"Wh-What did I do?" tears started to well up in my eyes. "What h-h-happened?" I curled up into a ball and wept for a long time. I couldn't breath and I felt heavy. I was on top of a haystack somewhere in the town. I didn't know where I was actually. But what I knew was it was already 8 o'clock at night. I was in a phase for 11 straight hours.

"What did I do?" I kept repeating to myself that sentence, that sentence turning into a mutter. I heard someone's footsteps coming this way. I wanted to hide, but there was nowhere to hide at all. All I could do was wait for that person.
Don't come near me.. I'm a monster..
I closed my eyes and waited. The footprints came to a stop and I opened my eyes, shaking. There he was, standing and staring.
Zero.
I didn't want him to see we like this. Out of all the people he was the one to see me like this. I hugged myself as he came closer. He saw me all dirty and covered in blood.

"What happened?" He asked in a calm voice.

"I-I don't kn-know... I s-s-suddenly blacked out then.. then ended up h-h-h-here." My voice started to crack as I began crying again. I didn't want this to happen. I thought Zero would leave me in disgust, but instead, he wraps me in his coat to hide the blood and carries me back to the school princess style. I was surprised. I thought he would abandon me considering his strong hatred for vampires. I started crying again. I cried tears of joy with a distressed expression. I was relieved, yet scared. I cried myself to sleep in his arms.