Chapter Five.

Like lighting, the storm started.

Kurt and the boys had just gotten back, laughing and regaling about the concert and how Lindsey said she had recognized them from the performance and loved it a lot. Suddenly the boys stopped laughing when they saw Finn looking really torn up in the foyer. Kurt finally came in and stopped mid-sentence, walking over to his brother.

"Finn? What is it? What happened?"

Finn sniffled, choking back a sob as he looked up at Kurt from his folded hands. His eyes held so much sadness, so much pain and fear that it shook Kurt to his core. Finn extended a hand and once Kurt took it, Finn started to talk.

"D-dad was working...over..overnight and..." He choked back another sob and bowed his head, shaking it slowly. Kurt began to feel cold now, cold and very afraid. Tears sprang in his eyes from just looking at his brother cry. "...some guy who was there told the...the paramedics that D..D..Dad fell while clutching his heart."

"No..."

"Dad's in the hospital, Kurt."

Kurt's breath shuddered and it didn't take long for the younger fae to start crying. Blaine was brought downstairs and took Kurt into his arms but the fae barely acknowledged him as he cried, eyes shut. He didn't acknowledge being lifted up or being put in the car. He didn't acknowledge anything until his nose was filled with lavender and honey and Kurt crumbled, loud, shaky sobs leaving his wet lips as he clung tight to his mother.

"Shh Shh, ça va bien, un petit"*

Kurt just kept crying as Finn and Blaine watched with tearful expressions. Soon after Kurt had stopped before he flooded the hospital, the doctor came out.

"Family of Burt Hummel?"

Mariè took Finn's hand and pulled the sniffling boy up while Blaine helped Kurt to stand and walk over.

"Yes, is he alright? Is he going to be okay?" Mariè asked.

"Mr. Hummel suffered from a heart attack and I'm afraid that it's not looking so good."

Marìe felt her breath choke up and could barely speak, closing her eyes. Kurt stepped and spoke up.

"What do you mean? What's wrong?"

The doctor looked at Kurt sadly, taking a breath before delivering the news that he knew would shatter this family apart. Kurt and Finn held tight to their mother's hands who was shedding tears while they held them back.

"I'm afraid that Mr. Hummel is in a coma and we don't know when he will wake up. But we are going to try everything we can to help him come back if we can."

.............................................................

"Look, its Kurt!" Jeff said before running to open the door to Warbler Hall and stopped breathing when he saw how Kurt was clinging to himself and crying, sobbing actually, into his hands. Jeff helped his best friend inside and handed him to Blaine who hugged Kurt to his chest, the fae's sobs muffled but still loud as Kurt went limp and Blaine fell with him, surprised. The fae just pleaded over and over for Blaine to not let go, to not leave but the vampire had a feeling he wasn't talking about him. Jeff and Wes ushered the others back into the common room but nothing kept the echoing sounds of Kurt's sobs from their ears. The light flickered as did the fire and everyone had their heads bowed until the fire blew out, covering the common room in darkness and silence as Kurt fell asleep in Blaine's tight hold.

Weeks had gone by with Kurt waking up with wailing nightmares that Blaine would hold him through and sing him back to sleep, with barely eating his salad and tears streaming down his face onto the wood, with him walking wrapped in Blaine's arm to every class and picked up the same way. The day always ended with Kurt being driven to the hospital to sit and hold his father's hand while Marìe, Blaine and Finn watched with sad eyes. Burt was breathing but he didn't move, didn't notice how his family was slowly fading away, drowning in tears. Finn was in the same mood as Kurt except there was no one to hold his hand, to tell him that it was going to be alright until one day after football practice, Finn angrily threw his football helmet across the field before collapsing on the bench to cry. He soon felt thin yet muscular arms wrap around him and bring him close to which he cried into the shoulder that smelled like roses. Quinn. The cheerleader never talked to him before and he wanted to wonder why she was hugging but he decided to just cry out his pain and frustration at her advice and when he was done, he lifted his head and sniffled, wiping his eyes. When he opened them, he was indeed looking at one sympathetic Quinn Fabray.

"How's your dad doing?" She asked and Finn shrugged.

"He hasn't woken up in weeks. Doctors are trying everything."

"I'm sorry."

With that, she held his hand tight everyday and walked with him from his truck and through the halls. She offered him hugs and a shoulder to cry on at the end of practice or in the hospital room where she saw Kurt being comforted by either his mother or by the curly haired boy who she found out was named Blaine. At Dalton, many offered their condolences until one day when Kurt saw a memorial and ran away, missing all his classes. Blaine searched around for him until he walked by the dance studio where Kurt stood in the middle with his violin, playing sad notes as he cried silently. Blaine watched in the window as Kurt began to move around slowly and keep his eyes closed, squeezing out tears and playing despite the choking sobs. Every memory in his mind involved his father in some type of way. Kurt had never had to live without his father in his life because Burt had always been there. He was scared and though he was surrounded by friends and family, he still felt alone.