Chapter 3- The execution

The cell isn't practically big. A bed made of wood with a single wool blanket and a pillow. The mattress is just large enough to fit the bed. On the opposite side, the privy stands. Finally, in the room, there's a desk with a quill pen and an inkholder. 

I sit down on the bed, a guard attracts my attention by banging on the bars, I get up from the bed and walks towards him. In his hands, he's carrying a single white dress. "I thought this was perhaps better than the one with the bloodstains." He stated with a friendly tone. I draw a smile before receiving the dress. "Oh, I nearly forgot to give you the letter." The man mentioned and sticks his hand in his pocket on his uniform. The letter is cream colored and stamped with red wax sealing the envelope. 

For Grace, the letter starts with. My hand shakes as I carefully open it. 

  My beloved Grace  

When you read this I have most likely passed away. I feel that you are perhaps going to experience a hard time after me, but you have to know you were highly loved by your mother and me. To rule the kingdom will not be an easy task, but you are the only one I want to leave the throne for. No matter what challenges you have to face, you must be strong. Your mother always used to say she was in the clouds when the lump of her stomach eventually grew and she would be the happiest mom in the world. She would have been proud of you. I know I was not always there for you if Katherine had survived the birth she would probably have been there when I couldn't. 

Mauel

I let out a quick breath. "Thank you so much." At his hip there's hanging a pair of keys, maybe one of them belongs to my cell. Unfortunately, he must have read my mind like an open book. "I can't. My wife has another one coming on its way. I don't want any trouble. If something happens to her I would never forgive myself. There would be no one to protect her if I get charged with treason." He preached with a clear voice.  I have no cards left to play, I'm really going to die.  I pull my arms out the dirty dress, letting it drop to the floor. Gently I unwrap the new one. I sit down at the desk, grabbing the quill pen and opening the inbox starting to write on the paper that lays in front of me. After scribbling on the paper I leave the desk in frustration and sits on the bed. The sun hasn't risen yet. when I peek out the window, but I know that the time is running out. "You will be executed by dawn." the sentence echoes in my head. tired I close my eyes.

when the sun rises in the east the guards pay me the last visit. The young guard puts the shackles on my hands.  They all still look the same the night my life was changed forever. They both hold a firm grip on my arms. I stare at the castle for the last time. There are six towers, with two main gates one that you could see from the square and the other one on the west wing. There's a bridge connecting the middle part of the castle to the west part. The main tower is the tallest one of them all. Standing in the background. The last thing is the glasses carved out like they are different pieces of painting.  The castle has stood for generations. 

What dangers and treats lure outside the walls of the castle is a mystery. The executioner is standing and waiting for us. In his hand, he carries a large and sword. He's dressed in leather and a cape hangs neatly around his shoulders.  The man is tall and bulky with curly hair and gray eyes. The guards unlock the shackles and standing behind me.  I take careful steps up the stairs on the platform. "Don't freat my child, I shall do it swiftly. My heart races in my chest, and I force myself to breathe in with the nose and exhale through the mouth. 

I startle when he touches my shoulder, giving a sign that I have to get on my knees. I place my hand on the ground before I sit on my knees. In the corner of my eye, I see the man lifting his sword automatically I shut my eyes. Unexpectedly the sound of something flying through the air I can sense it flying past my head until it meets the wall, an arrow.  Shocked over the incident the men draw out their swords. Another arrow comes flying striking one of the guards in the chest falling backward. I turn my whole body around to get search for the thing hiding. I take a few steps before the executioner grabs my arm,  desperately I try to fight, but he is too strong squeezing my arm. The pain forces me to give in. Hopeless I fall to my knees again. 

A man storming through the gates shooting arrows. The archer is dressed in a hood hiding his face, cotton clothes and combat boots. A leather armguard is attached to his left arm.  All the pieces fall into place, the man lurking in the shadows in the crowd following the trail. The man lifts his bow drawing it back in a fast move before releases it. he's hand picking up the arrows from a quiver. In a fluent motion, he draws the sting releasing loose it. He aims for the young guard, shooting it. In a second the arrow pierces through his left shoulder, Edward grunts of the pain. Enough to set him out of brief action for a short moment. The archer comes running in a second the executioner pulls me up and wraps his whole arm around me, placing the sword at my throat. I gasp out of shock. 

"Let her go or it will be the last thing you do!" the man commands. He narrows his eyes staring on the executioner. I gasp for air with quivering breath, the sword could pierce through my thin skin with the spatting everywhere. they both make eye contact. The man lets me go. In the next second the archer shoots the arrow and hits the executioner, he falls over almost in slow motion.  Petrified I let a scream. The archer takes my hand and shoves me behind him. Edward is standing in front of us. "Give up and let you at least live." Edward hissed. Quickly he pulls out a device and throws it on the ground, instantly the air fills up with smoke creating a diversion.  The Archer drags me along. we sprit towards the walls before change heading for a towel. The man kicks open the door with a bang. "faster!" He yells. My knees aces when ascending up the stairs. Before reaching the top running to the wall. To my surprise, a lake is beneath us and in fear, my body resists by sitting down.  "Please don't, I'm scared of heights. "  I quake. 

He let out a quick sigh. The archer places his hands on my hips and lifts me up onto the wall with my back facing the lake. "Good luck," he says with an optimistic tone.  spontaneously he gives me a push. I scream trying to hold onto him but realize it's too late when my body becomes weightless. everything becomes silent after my breaks the water surface. Just after I can hear him jump. when I reach the surface he's right beside me. With all my force I try to take a stroke, of all sudden the panic takes it tall. A pair of strong arms lift me up to the surface. The man holds around me. I begin to swim heading for the dry land. When we finally get nearer I can plant my feet in the ground. I sway my hips back and forth waking in zig-zag. In front of us, is a big forest. 

The man doesn't give me a break before he drags me along into the woods.  "Hurry!" a shout can be heard in the distance. The guards have been tailing us. My lungs burns and my breaths are short and rapid. The trees are in different sizes,  some are broken off from their core, twigs laying spread around. Water dripping down from our clothes and my hair waving in the wind. I've lost feeling in my legs and feet. The footpaths are dividing into smaller ones, but it looks like the unknown man is familiar with the terrain. "You have done well, keep running!" he commands.

From all directions the guards and attacks. the soldier strikes with his hand, effortlessly the archer blocks the strike with his upper arm, grabs a hold of the other arm and throws him over his head. Quickly he swings the leg and hit another one in the head. In a fast move, he pulls out the bow and shoots a man with the arrow. Again he takes my hand, dragging me with him. "We just need to get across that river." the man shouts and points his finger forward. I turn my head to see the last remaining guards are running chasing our heels. A brach catches me off-guard, my body dives towards the ground,  something hard strikes my head.