Chapter 36- Midwell

We prepare for leaving. I've packed and saddled up my horse. Commander Roux must be approaching Midwell as we gear up. Time is of the essence. The fire has been put out. The warriors are gearing up, Steve has packed the last of his belongings and straps it to the horse.  Daya is checking the sword. She exhales and places the sword back into the sheath. The woman legs to Estelle.  The woman picks up a stone from her supplies and places the sword against it. In fluid motions, she slides the sword. Alanya aims with her crossbow and reloads it. She aims at the trees and she looses the arrow. 

I loosen the reins of my horse. The horse's muzzle touches my face. I replay by stroking it. I gaze down at my sword. Steve excuses himself from the conversation with Jack. He comes up by my side. "Any need for assistance, Princess?" I brush him off. He lifts his eyebrows. 

"Can you not keep doing that?" I call him out. He puts his palms into the air. His eyes wides. I attempt to turn my body away from him. just to give him a hint. 

"I want to show you something," Steve admits. I stop and place my hands on my hips giving him an eye. The man takes a couple of batons out of his belt. He flicks them easy and places his foot behind 

 "Are they yours?" I study them and he holds them forward for me to study. I lean closer in. "Aria..." I stammer. Those belong to Aria." 

"They did. Now they are yours. She wanted you to keep them." The man hands them forward. 

 My fingers grasp after them, I stop myself. "No." I shake my head as I study Alanya. She turns her head round after I've spotted her. She engages further into the conversation with Estelle. I can sense she doesn't approve of Steve's actions. 

"You're kind. But, I cannot accept this. I think it's only fair that Alanya gets to keep these." I take them from Steve and saunter to the warriors. Alanya breaks the conversation with Estelle. 

"I think this belongs to you." I hand her the batons. She smacks them out of my hands. I attempt to catch them, but my clumsy hands juggle. As the clatter to the ground. I bend down to pick them up. "why did you do that for?" Alanya's eyes are burning. She stares down at me. "You should ask that question to him." She points her finger at Steve. He exclaims and marches over to us.  "Cause he handed them over to you, as they were a price to claim!" Alanya's knuckles turn white. 

"Why don't you scream it to my face!" He shoots his chest forward and his eyes vile eyes stare at Alanya. I step between them both. Steve pushes me. I put my hands up to defend myself. My eyes squint. "Steve, stop." My hissing tone warns him. Alanya lifts her fist and throws a punch at the man. Estelle grabs her waist and arms. She grunts and struggles. She stomps her foot at her. The woman responds by moving her foot away. Alanya wiggles in Estelle's grips. She frees herself from the warrior's grip. 

"This isn't the place or time for a fight. Save it for the battle." Richard steps in. He speaks with a sharp tone and precision. I lower my head, I know he's right. And we're losing focus on the important task. I push the batons in Alanya. She scoffs and jerks as I trudged to my horse.  The commander's mouth is open. "we have a job to do." I state to the others. The warriors split up and get on the horseback. I sit upright and my straight back in the saddle as I pull the reins. 

"The town's general has been notified of our arrival. And he knows Roux's army and is approaching the city. I've requested for the civilians to be transported out of the town. " Richard's voice sounds out. 

"Right." I shake my head. 

"He requests Estelle for backup to transport the citizens in case something happens. " The commander gives him a look. Her mouths curve up. 

"I'm honored. I will do my best." The woman answers the warrior. 

The man I'm staring upon is a plump man and he's tiny. A huge sword hangs by his hip. "I'm general Cirillo."