Chapter 22- Target

The morning is still fresh when I open my eyes, I squint for a bit as my eyes are adjusting to the light. I must have fallen asleep after the conversation. "Good morning, Grace." Richard casts a look at me. He is sharping his dagger sitting on the ground. His foot rests upon his other.  The fire is still burning bright. The crackling sound and the small sparks radiate with warmth upon my hands as they rest over the fire. I pull them to my face and blow inside of them. I rub them gently before my hair falls in front of my face. I glace at him before murmuring under my breath. "Did you sleep last night?" 

"No." Blindly he gives his answer. The tone is stiff and lifeless. He holds up and puts his dagger back in his sheath.  Before getting up and he casts his eyes on me. 

When does he sleep? How can he keep such focus without resting himself? I guess he guards me without giving a single thought. Perhaps he falls asleep when I'm not watching him. Or he keeps one eye open for dangers. 

"We'll have to go until we reach Eagleburn." He legs start walking at a slow pace. I follow after like a sheep. The fire will slowly burn out after us, hopefully, the rain will come to finish the work. 

 "Our next stop?" My voice goes up for a moment. He nods. 

 "Please", he gestures with his hand. "You don't need to walk after me. The path is huge enough for both of us."I take another direction off the path. The man comes after me. A secluded place peers as I uncover the branches. The light green leaves and the branches from the threes are dipped into the water. The sky is covered with dark clouds, a storm is coming soon. I can feel it. "What is this place?" I state, standing like a question mark.  "We'll have to cross the water. Brace yourself, we're going to get soaked." He informs with a warned tone. 

"I'll see if I find a little steam with clean water," I announce. The acing is unbeareble. I haven't eaten a thing, not since we left the tavern. We don't all of our resources after the thieves attacked us. My stomach rumbles and my throat is dry. "We'll perhaps shoot a bird or a rabbit to feed ourselves." He shoves his bow back in place. "That's does sound too bad." I smile and clear my throat. The swamp is draining. My boots are heavy and the water reaches up to our knees. I can feel the water rushes in. I can't feel my hands anymore. I pinch my hands together. A couple of birds can be heard in the distance. The warrior has taken his bows in his right hand. The ground formes under us and I sink a little bit more. The ground curves downwards. Before we reach a path. We're out of the swamp now. 

A wooded area awaits us. Dozens of trees grow here. But they form a perfect oval considered their place.  

"This is known as  Cursehollow. This is a dangerous place to wander alone if you not familiar with the terrain." The man marched on. May has gotten lost and never returned home." He speaks with a dark voice. "I assume there can be a lot of predators here. " I inquire while leering. A bird flaps its wings my ears turn to the sound. Without noticing I've fallen behind Richard. Then he disappears over a hill,  I saunter after. The ground becomes deep and is shaped a hole. I stumble and catch myself moments before my body is laying in the hollow. "careful, dearest." He holds around my wrist and hoists me up. "That was too close." I gasp and breathe out slowly. 

The numbers of trees are endless, the branches reach on the ground.  They tangle around other trees. plants hang down from the branches. The bark on the threes are in a shade of rich brown and has several cracks carved on the outside. The air is compact and dry. My teeth chatter as I pull my jacket tighter over me and my body is shaking. I tighten my leather gloves. "It's sure cold out here." A prickling sensation bothers my legs. I breathe out my mouth as it becomes thin fog.  "Look." Richard points forward. "Richards stops, he puts his index finger over his mouth signalizing to me to be quiet. An arrow rests on his index finger, he draws the bow. As his right shuts. Then he adjusts it upwards. A grouse flaps its wings and Richard releases the string. The arrow pierces the body of the animal and its moments is cut before it falls flat on the ground.