talk baby

it was a little after 5 pm when michael finished cleaning up from the previous nights events. luke has slept the entire day, and is still out like a light.

michael walked towards the kitchen and saw that liz and karen had returned.

"hey mama." michael said, kissing his moms cheek. "hey mama h." he said, kissing liz's cheek also.

"hey michael. where's luke?" liz asked.

"taking a nap. he's been asleep for quite a while. he should wake up soon." michael said

both of the moms sat down, and michael leaned against the kitchen island.

"so.. when do you think you're gonna propose?" karen asked, and michael sighed.

"i don't see what the big deal is about getting married. you and dad got married, but where is he now?" michael asked.

"michael, you and luke have a relationship so much stronger than anything me and your dad could've ever had." karen whispered.

"but i don't understand. we're still the same people wether he has a ring or not." michael said.

"let me tell you something.." liz said, and looked up at michael. "..when luke was younger, he found my mom's wedding dress. he asked what it was and i explained the idea of a wedding to him. after that, when he wasn't staring at you through the fence, luke loved talking about all of the things he wanted at his wedding. besides you, luke has never had a male figure in his life that would stick around. his dad was psycho, and if i ever brought a boyfriend over, he'd be gone in a month or so. he doesn't need you to propose just so he can say he's married. he needs you to propose so he can feel that commitment he's never had before."

michael lightly bit his lip, looking down at the counter.

"michael, he's scared, and i think you know that. we don't want to force you to propose to him, but you've already said you're always going to be with him forever." karen said.

"i am. i just guess i didn't see the point, but i know it means everything to luke. i know luke's always gonna be there, and nobody's ever going to take me away from him. maybe he can't see that like i do. i just want him to be happy again." michael said softly.

"don't do it if you're not ready, but if you can say that you are going to spend the rest of your life with luke, and nothing is going to come between you two, do it for him."

"i got a ring. seven years ago. i wanted him to marry me then, but we were just too young. i don't know how my opinion changed so fast, but i remember how happy he was when i made him promise to marry me someday." michael said softly.

"he probably remembers everything about that day." liz whispered.

"i'm breaking his heart and i hate myself for it. i'm so selfish for telling him i'm never gonna marry him just because i don't see the importance like he does." michael whispered, running his hands over his face.

"just wait a little longer. maybe getting away from london will help you see what he sees a little. your life up there is so fast paced and having a wedding just seems like a burden, i'm sure. just wait it out."