chapter twenty.

Lilly
"You really didn't have to walk me to school Lewis." I sighed as we approached the building.

"I just wanted to make sure my baby cousin made it to school safely." He teased, grabbing my cheeks.

I swatted his hands away and gave him a hug. He placed a kiss on my forehead as we pulled apart.

"Don't do anything dumb."

"It's the southside of Chicago, what trouble could I get into?"

---

Carl

"Is that the guy?" Nick asked

I took a drag of the cigarette on my lips. "Yup."

After taking a final puff, I put it out. "Let's go."

"Hey!" I called out.

The guy turned around and faced us. "You talking to me?"

We walked closer to him so we wouldn't have to yell. "So what's your name?"

"Lewis."

"Well Lewis, I'm gonna need you to stay the fuck away from Lilly, ight?"

As we turned away, he spoke up. "What if I don't?"

I walked up to him and punched him square in the face. "That's gonna happen, but 10x worse."

Lewis got up and swung at me, which ended up in Nick, Some of G-dog's goons, and I jumping this guy.

---

Lilly

"Lewis, I'm home!" I shouted as the door slammed shut behind me.

Walking around the house, I noticed how everything was untouched and quiet.

"Lewis?" I called out frantically as I searched the house.

I ran into the backyard and started yelling out his name, but no response. As I called his phone, his ringtone could be heard ever so slightly. The ringing led me to a garbage can, which held a beaten up Lewis.

"Oh god."

---

"Lewis what the hell happened?!" I had finished cleaning up his face and started icing some areas.

"I was walking home, some guys pulled up, they asked my name, told me to stay away from you, I was stubborn, got my ass kicked, was thrown in a garbage can, and now I'm here." He winced as the ice was placed on his eye.

"Did you get a good look at who did this to you?"

"It was some tall black guys and a white kid with cornrows."

I tugged at my hair from the roots and let out a long sigh. "Fucking Carl."

---

The hallways were busy, per usual, but I knew I had to get him alone somehow.

"Damn baby no need to be so roug-"

Maggie scoffed as she pushed him into the bathroom.

"We need to talk."