Chapter 15

Anna fidgets, her fingers smoothing over the luxurious silk skimming her hips, as she rounds the corner. This segment of the Asgardian palace is all but deserted, a fact that Sigyn repeated several times as she went over the plan with Anna. Still, the Midgardian woman couldn't help but be nervous. Not when her memories keep replaying the last time she'd seen these halls.

"Confidence," Sigyn reminded her. "I've heard many stories of your strength, Anna, do not lose sight of what lies within you."

Anna frowned at her friend, "It's not the same. Getting in a fight, that's natural. This is--"

"A battle of an entirely different sort, yes," the blonde replied. "But a battle nonetheless. It takes great strength of character to deal with the likes of Loki, mind you, and I hear you've had no trouble at all with that monumental burden. This should be a..." Sigyn paused, her lips curling into a smile. "A walk in cake."

The brunette snorted, "A cakewalk?"

Sigyn dismissed Anna's laughter with a wave of her hand, "Is that not what I said?"

Anna smiles at the memory, her jaw tight as she keeps herself from laughing nervously, before she takes a deep breath to settle herself. She had seen the work Sigyn did to mask her appearance in the mirror, and she knows the magic would not fail her now.

No, right now, the only thing that might fail her is her courage, but - even that - she refuses to let crumble. Not now. Not when Loki needs her.

Straightening her spine, Anna magic-altered featured twist into a shy grin as she approaches the pair of guards standing in front of the familiar set of heavy doors. Her hair, now blonde, is twisted off her neck to allow the gems around her neck to glint even in the dim lighting, and her gaze flickers to the ground as she approaches the two guards.

"Lady Iðunn," the first guard says, inclining his head slightly in respect. "How may I be of service?"

Anna dips her head in return, demurely raising her gaze as she smiles at the man, "The council has agreed that I should be permitted to speak with Heimdall, regarding an urgent matter. I would appreciate your escort, if you please."

"My lady," the man frowns, a look of confusion crossing his face as he glances at his companion, "I have heard no such news. Why not send a messenger before you? It is--"

"I did speak of haste, did I not?" Anna interrupts him, forcing herself to maintain a gentle smile as Sigyn coached her before making eye contact with the other guard. "If necessary, I can return with a member of the council. Deliberations have not yet ended for the day, but I'm assuming they will understand that the interruption is necessary, of course."

The first guard steps forward, "No," he replies hastily, dipping his head respectfully before glancing over his shoulder to see his partner nod. "Do not trouble yourself, my lady. I meant no disrespect. I would be happy to escort you."

The smile on Anna's face broadens, "My gratitude, sir."

He turns to the door, signaling for his partner to swing it open far enough for the two of them to pass through the entryway. She smiles briefly at the second guard, nodding at him in thanks, before following the first one through the doorway and into the even darker lighting that awaits within.

Carefully making her way down the steps, Anna exhales slowly as she steps toward the familiar bright white boxes lining the walls. Her heart is racing within her chest with each step, and she is grateful that the revealing dress Sigyn chose for her is light enough to keep her from sweating nervously.

As they come to a stop, Anna takes a step closer to the guard than is strictly necessary and lays a gentle hand on his bicep. This is another element of Sigyn's plan, one Anna knew would be difficult, but she thrusts the doubt from her mind as she allows her wide-eyed gaze to meet his.

"Would it be possible for me to speak to him from within the cell?"

Her lips brush the shell of the guard's ear with each whispered word, and she catches his eyes as they skim down to the top of her strapless dress. His gaze lingers for a moment, seemingly captivated by the ruby glistening at the center of the necklace from where it rests just above her chest, before rising back up to her face.

The look on his face is one of sheer lust, one that drives pangs of guilt and disgust through her, but she steels herself against the instinct to pull away from him.

He nods, barely cognizant enough to form any words, before stepping up to the shimmering gold barrier and dropping it momentarily so that Anna might step through. She waits a moment before doing so, gathering her the folds of her dress in her hands, and repeats the mantra that has brought her this far. So far, everything has gone precisely according to Sigyn's plan, but the growing knot of anxiety in her stomach tells her that this is only the beginning.

For Loki, she says in her thoughts, smiling at the guard one last time before she crosses the threshold into the cell. The barrier buzzes behind her as it shimmers back into place, and she watches it for a moment before turning back to face the cell's occupant.

His familiar face looks worn, new lines creasing his forehead that she can't quite remember being there in the past, and his knowing eyes pass over her face as she opens her mouth to speak.

"You are not Iðunn," the man's voice rumbles, causing Anna's breath to catch in her chest. She resists the urge to glance over her shoulder to make sure the guard is gone, but a hint of a smile stretches across the features of the man in front of her.

Anna's shoulders sag in relief, "Heimdall, I need your help." 

Want a new chapter by tomorrow? (Maybe even tonight?)

I need your help first. FRAGILE is being released TOMORROW, which means one of my books will be available in both paperback + ebook. If you've read it, please head over to Amazon to leave a review.

I'm also giving away a Kindle Fire + $50 Amazon giftcard on Instagram. Go to instagram.com/jandralee to enter!

If you haven't read it, please consider buying a copy! It's currently only $5.97 in paperback and only $2.99 for the ebook, and every little bit helps. Tell your friends, tell your parents, post about it on social media - the better this book does, the higher likelihood that I'll be able to keep writing full-time (and *cough* write more fanfiction). 

Who knows? Maybe if FRAGILE does well enough, Marvel will find out about the Loki fanfiction and hire me. We can dream, right? ;) 

Love,
Jandra