Chapter 23

Heimdall follows Sigyn from the cell, and the two of them come to a stop as Amora and Lorelei approach them. The two sisters eye Heimdall with suspicion, neither of them particularly fond of the Asgardian gatekeeper of the Bifrost, but Sigyn rolls her eyes at the show of bravado. Her magic has already worn off, the appearance of Ilva slipping away to be replaced by her own, which makes their presence in the dungeons all the more dangerous. Sigyn's own history with Loki aside, she has no permission to be here, and her magic isn't nearly as powerful as Amora's should they be discovered.

"We haven't the time for this," she hisses at Amora, grabbing the woman's arm and tugging her toward the doors. "Can you do something about the guards? Please? We had an agreement."

Pushing her toward the heavy doors, Amora groans dramatically before shaking off Sigyn's grip. She closes her eyes for a moment and exhales, her lips pursed together, until she disappears entirely.

"So," Lorelei smirks, unconcerned by her sister's teleportation. "A little bird told me you've been helping the Midgardian woman who fell for Loki's schemes? They're such dull creatures, aren't they? So easily susceptible to superior minds."

Sigyn crosses her arms in front of her chest, "Yes, tell me again how these 'dull creatures' managed to capture you and return you to Sif's custody? She told me of the warriors of S.H.I.E.L.D and how — despite your 'superior mind' and no doubt strength — she was able to apprehend you with their assistance."

The redhead grits her teeth, taking a menacing step toward Sigyn, but Heimdall quickly steps between the two. Before Sigyn can reply, the door to the prison swings open behind them and all three of them whirl around to see Odin himself enter the chamber.

"Shit," Lorelei mutters beneath her breath.

Sigyn reaches a hand into her bag, her fingers curling around a tiny vial that will provide a cloud of smoke for them to attempt an escape, and she takes a step toward the Allfather. He smirks, the corner of his mouth tilting upward ever-so-slightly, and she hesitates just as Heimdall's voice breaks the tension.

"I take it the guards are gone, Amora?"

Odin's body shimmers in a cloud of gold, his skin glowing softly, before shifting back into Amora. The Enchantress pouts her lips as she crosses the distance between them, her eyes wide as she reaches forward to plant a kiss on Heimdall's cheek.

"You're not any fun," she says as he draws himself away from her. "You know that, right?"

"We don't have time for fun," Sigyn interjects, leading the way out of the prison now that the exit is clear. They arrived with two people so they couldn't leave with more, so she'd encouraged Amora to use her magic to draw the guards away from the prison only after they'd freed Heimdall and Lorelei. If they did so beforehand, they risked arousing suspicion before they were able to make their escape. "I assume you told the guards to collect others along the way?"

Amora nods before looping her arm between her sister's, "Of course. Everything along the east corridor should be empty of guards."

"Good."

Grabbing the heavy doors, she swings it open and peaks down both directions. It's clear of guards, so she steps out of the way so Heimdall, Amora, and Lorelei can follow her down the east corridor. As they walk, she pulls a heavy cloak from her bag and hands it to Heimdall. He'll need it to mask his distinct appearance, and he quickly fastens the cloak around his shoulders.

"Thank you," he tells her, pulling the hood up around his face to shroud his golden eyes from onlookers.

"I'm certain your sight will assist us greatly, but..."