Chapter 22

The bleached horse's skull clatters to the floor, and Sigyn exhales slowly. Anna is gone back to Midgard, and she can only hope that it won't be difficult to locate Thor and return him to Asgard. Without his help, retrieving Loki will be a far more strenuous task than she could possibly imagine, but she'll help Anna regardless. Loki might not deserve her fidelity, but he'll receive it nonetheless.

"Sigyn!"

A voice cries in the hallway, and she drops the cluster of sage onto the table top. Turning to face the door, it swings open to reveal Amora - barely dressed, one arm pulling up the strap to her thin dress - and breathing heavily.

"What is it?" Sigyn asks. "A problem with one of your paramours?"

Amora smirks knowingly, "I have no such problems, but this...this is a problem for you."

The blonde frowns, "And?"

"The Allfather has returned," Amora replies. "He's retaken the throne."

Blinking a few times at this revelation, Sigyn ponders what this could mean for Anna and for Loki. According to the Midgardian woman, Loki spoke of Odin's death and had replaced him on Asgard's throne. If the Allfather has returned, that could only mean that either Loki has as well or it is another one of Thanos' tricks.

Either way, it cannot be good.

Gathering up her supplies into her satchel, she quickly snuffs out the lamps in the chamber and brushes past Amora toward the stairs.

"Wait," Amora grabs her upper arm. "What of Lorelei? I shared ancient Seiðr with you, secrets that have been kept for thousands of years. You promised to help me release my sister."

Sigyn frowns. She doesn't have the time nor the patience for Amora, but she is bound by her word.

"I did," she confirms. "And if you come with me, we can see her released before it is too late."

The other woman holds her in place for a few moments, studying her with narrow eyes, before she releases her grip on Sigyn's arm and allows her to move toward the stairs. They rush downstairs into the tavern, dodging through the crush of bodies, and ignoring the propositions of men and women alike as they dart outside.

"Why the hurry?" Amora asks, gathering her skirts into her hands and jogging gracefully after Sigyn.

Choosing her next words wisely, Sigyn keeps her eyes on the road ahead of them. People are rushing toward the palace, likely toward an impending feast to celebrate the return of the Allfather, and they'll need to slip inside unnoticed.

"With the Allfather's return, it will be more difficult to free your sister," Sigyn lies. "We must act now or all will be lost."

The excitement is coursing through Asgard, and - inside the palace - it is tinged with a hint of anticipation. Servants are scurrying through the corridors laden with food, golden, and various objects in preparation for what appears to be a massive celebration, and the chaos allows them to reach the hallway near the dungeons relatively unnoticed.

"Ilva!" Sigyn cries, calling out to the maid who served Anna.

The servant's eyes widen, passing a load of fabric to a passing man, before approaching Sigyn and Amora with a frightened look.

"My ladies," Ilva bows her head slightly.

"None of that," Sigyn waves her hand away. "What news of the Allfather's return? Have you seen him?"

The servant girl's eyes widen, and she glances down the busy hallway before swallowing nervously. Shooting a pointed look at Amora, Sigyn takes a step closer to Ilva and places a gentle hand on her forearm. She steers the girl around the corner into a quiet alcove with Amora keeping an eye out.

"What is it?" Sigyn asks softly.

Ilva bites her lip before whispering, "The Allfather requested my presence."

"He wanted to know about Anna," Sigyn exhales, and Ilva nods. "What did you tell him?"

"N-nothing, my lady," the girl insisted. "I told him the truth of her death, and he seemed..."

"Upset?"

Ilva hesitates then nods again.

Swearing under her breath, Sigyn pulls Amora back into the alcove with them. She drops her satchel from her shoulder, kneeling down to search through the bag with shaking hands. Ilva watches her with wide eyes, causing Amora to snort in amusement before Sigyn stands once more. Holding a small vial of shimmering blue liquid, she reveals a tiny knife and lifts it to Ilva's hair. The servant freezes, unaware of what's happening, as Sigyn cuts of a tiny strand of hair and drops it into the vial.

"Amora?" Sigyn re-corks the vial, watching it closely as the color shifts to a pale lavender.

Amora smiles and turns Ilva toward her, intertwining their fingers together slowly, before leaning forward to place a gentle kiss on the servant's lips.

"Amora," the other woman warns. "Now is not the time."

The enchantress rolls her eyes then waves her other hand in front of Ilva's face, causing the servant's eyes to flutter shut as she instantly falls asleep. Catching her, Amora lowers her to the ground softly and waves another hand over the body to mask it from outsiders.

"This is your plan?" Amora questions, nodding at the vial.

Sigyn nods, "Unfortunately, yes."

Uncorking the vial, Sigyn drinks it in one quick motion and tosses the empty vial back into her satchel before closing her eyes. The familiar tingle of magic begins trickling over her body as she feels her form shift, and she looks down at her hands to watch them change into smaller ones. Looking up at Amora through Ilva's eyes, she nods for the other woman to begin her own transformation. Thankfully, Amora's own skills surpass her own, and she's able to effortlessly disguise herself into an Asgardian guard in the blink of an eye.

"Shall we?" Amora asks, her masculine voice deep.

Sigyn, disguised as Ilva, nods and follows her into the hallway toward the door of the prison. Careful to keep her eyes to the ground, she trails a few steps behind Amora in a show of deference for a member of the Allfather's elite guard. They pass through the doors without issue, and Amora nods for the guard waiting inside to be relieved of duty.

Once he disappears, her appearance shimmers back to normal and she darts down the dungeons looking for her sister's cell. Sigyn, still disguised as Ilva, waits a moment before approaching another of the cells and waving her hand over the locking mechanism to drop the shimmering golden forcefield in front of it.

The sole occupant of the cell stands, his disheveled appearance a bit startling, and she stares into his golden eyes.

"Lady Sigyn," Heimdall rumbles, standing slowly. "I've been expecting your visit."

Sigyn sighs in relief, "Then you are aware of what's happening?"

Heimdall nods, "I am."

"And you'll help me?"

"My duty is to Asgard and its people," he replies softly. "I will help you, but we must leave. Now."