Chapter 16

"The last time I offered such assistance, it did not bode well," Heimdall says ruefully. "Surely you remember this."

Anna grimaces, thinking back to Thor's plan to sneak Loki away from Asgard so they could trick Malekith into taking the Aether from Jane. Heimdall had agreed to assist them, turning a blind eye as they escaped, and - as a result - ended up condemned and imprisoned by the high council. He stands accused of treason, and a pang of guilt shoots through her at the thought that he's been locked in this prison cell for as long as she'd been trapped in Loki's chambers.

"I do," she acknowledges. "However, I also remember that we were able to save Jane and destroy Malekith."

Heimdall hums, "A worthy sacrifice, then."

The silence lingering between them is deafening, and Anna bites her lip as she stares up at the giant Asgardian. No longer clad in his shining golden armor, his simple clothing stands in stark contrast to his vivid gold irises that still seem to comprehend everything even within the walls of his prison.

"I need to find him," Anna says softly. "Regardless of your feelings toward Loki, something is happening. Something bigger than both of us, and - with Thor off-world and the Bifrost closed - Asgard is at risk. We ca--"

The Asgardian interrupts her, "I am more amenable to your situation than you might believe, my lady. While many are blinded by his exterior, I can see that there is still hope for Loki."

"So you'll help me?"

Anticipation rising, she struggles to keep her hopes in check. After dealing with Hela, seeing Loki for the first time in so long, this feels like her only remaining option. Anna's desperate, of that much she is certain, and Sigyn made it very clear that - without Heimdall - the chances of their success are slim to none.

"My duty is to Asgard," Heimdall replies firmly.

Her heart drops, but he continues in a quiet voice, "I cannot stop you from pursuing this task. If you were to go outside the citadel to the tavern called The Golden Boar, I cannot prevent you from speaking to a woman called Amora."

"Amora," Anna repeats, her voice barely more than a whisper as she comprehends his meaning. "Thank you."

Heimdall nods almost imperceptibly.

"Take caution," he warns. "While she possesses that which you seek, it will not come without a price."

She reaches up to place a hand on Heimdall's forearm, squeezing it tightly, before dropping it to her side. Before she's able to thank him again, a noise from outside the cell draws their attention and she turns to see the guard who escorted her into the prison waiting for her on the other side of the shimmering force field. Sighing, Anna smiles at Heimdall one last time, dipping her head in respect, before turning to wait for the forcefield to be dropped.

Once she's clear of it, she exhales shakily as she steps down and follows the guard wordlessly out of the prison. Her hands are clenched in front of her, fingers intertwined nervously, and she resists the urge to fiddle with the knotted silver ring on her left hand.

Already, she's bargained more than she's comfortable with - first with Hela - and now she has to do it again with this Amora. The name rings a bell, perhaps from one of the many history books she devoured whilst trapped in Loki's chambers, but she cannot remember where.

Heimdall would not point her this way without cause, she reminds herself as she exhales shakily. The guard glances at her before pushing open the heavy door to the prison and Anna barely remembers to dip her head in thanks before rushing down the corridor and back to the tiny room where she left Sigyn.

She pushes the door open quickly, slipping inside, and Sigyn closes the book she was reading and stands.

"And?" The blonde woman asks.

Anna smiles, "He gave me a name. We have a way off Asgard."

Sigyn sighs, relief etched on her features while her shoulders relax, and she reaches for her bag to reverse the spell masking Anna's appearance. While Iðunn is a perfect disguise for gaining entry to the prison, maintaining the spell elsewhere in Asgard poses too high of a risk. The goddess, kind and obliging, brings a crowd wherever she goes - no doubt aided by her penchant for revealing clothing - and they need stealth from this point onward.

"Who?" The Asgardian asks, pulling out a soft grey dress for Anna to replace her silky red gown. "Perhaps I know him?"

"Her," Anna corrects. "Her name is Amora."

The dress slips from Sigyn's hands, pooling at her feet, as she stares blankly at Anna. Hand still outstretched, she stands completely frozen - the only movement the rise and fall of her breathing - until she takes a slow inhale.

She exhales, biting her lip as she grimaces, and Anna lifts an eyebrow. The brunette stoops down to grab the dress from the floor, hugging it to her chest as she watches her friend carefully.

"What is it?"

Sigyn hesitates, "Amora..."

"Don't tell me she used to be married to Loki too," Anna stutters, her eyes growing wide in fear. 

The blonde laughs half-heartedly, "Not married, no. They do have an...interesting history, however."

"Interesting how?"

Sigyn frowns, "Well, this certainly won't be easy." 

Today is the Ides of July! 

That's right, the "ides" of July is the 15th of July, which is the day the first book started.

Which means, tomorrow - July 16th - is the day Anna + Loki met, so we're celebrating with our annual #VoteLoki re-read of The Ides of July!

Join us in reading the book together in an attempt to crown Loki as the rightful king of Wattpad. Remember: rankings are calculated by time spent reading the book, so it doesn't help to skim through. 

Also, tomorrow may or may not be my birthday...so...*hint hint*

x