Chapter 5

I awoke to Invictus's breathing on my neck. His nose nestled into the crook of my neck and his arms and legs wrapped over me protectively. Slowly, I turned my body to roll out of his embrace. I was halfway out when he pulled me back into his arms again. I turned slightly to see he was still asleep his auburn curly hair falling over his forehead. I held my breath and sucked in my stomach as I wiggled down and under the covers.

When my feet popped out at the foot of the bed, I noticed that my face was very close to his lower part. A blush crept on my face and I wiggled down faster. When I finally freed myself I smiled with triumph as I sneaked my way to the door. I made it out and noticed that the cabin was still quiet. Everyone was still asleep.

The sun now peeked into the window, flooding the small cabin with light. I moved to the front door intent on leaving this craziness behind but the moment my foot step out the door I felt a tug in my heart. It was as if something was pulling me back. I hesitated. My mind flickered back to Invictus. I glanced behind me again and stared at the door I came out from.

Why was I hesitating?

I should be running for my life.

I had no problem yesterday!

My muscles protested to move even though my mind was telling me to go. It was a battle and finally with a huff I closed the door and stood staring at it. I wasn't leaving. I don't know how long I was staring at it until I heard a voice behind me.

"You know if you stare at it long enough, it might just open."

I turned to see Caden yawning as he walked out shirtless. He scratched his bare chest before running his hand through his hair and then walking to the kitchen.

"I'm hungry. Cook me something?" He asked.

I scoffed. "Do it yourself."

"C'mon, Dee." Caden said with a pout. "I haven't had a decent meal since a decade."

"A decade?" I asked as I moved closer to him. His nickname for me I found I didn't mind.

He nodded. "We move around too much and Invictus seems to want to just roam around this edge of the woods. Do you realize how starved I am?"

The corner of my mouth lifted. "Well I guess we can't keep you starving."

I moved into the kitchen and shuffled through their fridge. I found some eggs and bacon and began cooking. He thanked me heartily before moving to sit in the stool across the counter.

"So tell me, do you have a mate?" I asked.

"No. None of us have found ours except for Invictus." Caden replied as he grabbed a cereal box and began eating out of it.

"Who is his mate?" I asked after I finished the food and placed it on the counter for him to eat.

I moved to sit in the stool I sat in last night but let out a scream when I heard glass shattering behind me. Caden moved with speed to cover me. He grabbed my around my shoulders and pulled me around the counter to hide behind it. Silence came quickly after. I closed my eyes tightly and placed my hand over my ears. The ground shook as footsteps came closer.

I felt a touch on my wrist and I knew instantly it was Invictus. I opened my eyes to see him staring at me. His golden green eyes were staring at me with concerns.

"Caden, Marc, go out and see if you can sniff out who it was." Invictus ordered angrily. His eyes looked merciless. Ron walked over to the window. Max stood watching and guarding. Invictus's touch again brought me back to my senses.

"What is happening?" I asked and heard how quiet and hoarse it was.

"Everything is ok. Nothing will ever happen to you while I am here." He promised and moved to cup my cheek. I closed my eyes and allowed myself to be comforted by that touch. "Why were you out of bed?"

"I was going to leave." I whispered softly and I felt him go stiff. I opened my eyes to look at him. "Don't get angry with me, Invictus. I barely know you and everyone here. I lived my life like a normal person and in a blink of an eye everything changed."

He relaxed a little and I saw the stiffness in shoulders let go. "I know this is hard to take in, little moon. I know. I don't want to get you involved at all but now I can't stop what is happening. You are in danger and I need to keep you safe."

"Why? You don't even know me." I replied feeling slightly confused as to why he wanted to save a mere human. I was a liability to him.

"I know you, little moon." He said and his eyes held a certainty to it that I couldn't understand why.

"How?" I asked.

He didn't respond. Instead, he stood up and pulled me up with him. Ron came back to our side and showed Invictus a rock. Invictus looked at it and what he saw angered him because he crushed the small rock in his hand with a squeeze. My eyes widened as I watched it crumbled to the floor.

"We have to move." He simply said. His eyes moved to Ron and Max who both nodded their agreement. Their face also showed how serious the situation was. Invictus turned towards me. "Stay here, I am going to go back a few things and we will be leaving in the next five minutes."

"How? What? Why?!" I had so many questions. Why was Invictus so secretive?

"Not now, Deidre." He grounded out.

"Well, I am not leaving with you." I crossed my arms. "Until you tell me exactly where we are going and what the hell is going on?"

Max chuckled, "I think you better tell her or else we won't be leaving here in five minutes."

Invictus growled angrily and then turned towards me before flickering his gaze back to Ron and Max. "Go get the others and grab what we need. We are leaving in five minutes."

They both nodded and disappeared in front of my eyes. I turned back to look at Invictus with my arms still crossed. He shook his head and moved to grab my shoulders. He directed me away from the shatter window to a corner where his body blocked mine.

"You understand that we are lycans and that there are other mythical creatures out there?" He asked. I nodded.

"There is one that we are raging war against. They are with the vampires. I have been gone from my home for many years-decades, fighting this war." He continued as his eyes were still trained on me. I nodded to show him I was listening. He sighed and swore under his breath before moving to cup my cheeks. He held it in a death grip as he looked at me with so much emotion. I couldn't read all of them. It was a struggle and I knew this was hard on him. I moved to touch his arms with my hands.

"Tell me more." I urged.

"You are in danger because of me. The vampires have lived as long as we have lived. They have vampires as old as I am and even longer. They are dangerous when in a group and with only us protecting you, I can't be sure that I can keep you safe. This is why you need to leave with me."

"Why am I in danger? I am only a human being. Leave me here and they won't know." I continued to reason but something twisted in my chest and I felt what I can only describe as panic rise up inside of me at the thought of Invictus leaving me.

"I can't, little moon." His face looked tortured. His eyes held so much sadness and guilt. "I can't leave you."

"Why?" I repeated again. "I still don't understand-"

"Because you're mine." He said simply. I was about to ask again but we got interrupted.

Max and Ron came back with Marc and Caden following closely after. Invictus pulled back to look at everyone and then back at me.

"Will you come with me?" He asked gently. His eyes glint with a pleading.