Epilogue

Epilogue - Deidre

Invictus was on his bed unconscious. An IV attached to his hand and his skin as pale as ever. Bandages wrapped around his chest and a small faint blood tainted the white wrapping. My feet moved on its own and I was by his side in seconds. My hand came up to trail his forehead down to his jaw and I leaned down to kiss him on the lips gently before moving to his ear as I whispered.

"I love you."

When I pulled back, Marc moved to stand next to me. He pointed at the tattoo on Invictus's chest. I remember faintly me asking him back at the cabin.

"Illis quos amo deserviam...for those I love I sacrifice." He said the same exact words that Invictus said to me.

I finally understood.

"He sacrificed the risk of mating with me to keep me from dying. He was afraid that I wouldn't be able to survive the shift, is that right?" I asked.

Marc nodded.

"He tried to stay away from me because to him his life was too dangerous for me. He didn't want me to get hurt." I stated and Marc nodded again.

"He wore that tattoo to remind him of why he was doing what he did. He got it shortly after meeting you. He didn't mean to hurt you. The only way he knew to protect you was to keep you away from him but fate can't be thwarted. You and him were destined to be together even if he tried." Marc explained and squeezed my shoulder. "He's an idiot."

I chuckled a little. "Yes, he can be. I love him regardless. Thank you for telling me, Marc. It makes me understand him a lot more."

Marc grinned and exhaled. "Well, I am off to get some sleep."

I watched him leave before turning back to look at Invictus. I have come to accept the fact that my life has completely changed and there was no turning back. I don't want to turn back. I love this life and I love this man. I couldn't imagine life without him--living with him for forever sounds nice.

I moved to the other side of the bed and turned to lay on my side as I watched his breathing. Soon, my eyes fluttered close.

When I awoke, Invictus was already awake. He was looking down at me as if he couldn't believe I was alive. I pushed myself to sit up along with him.

"How are you feeling?" I asked as I moved to cup his cheek.

"You're alive." He said.

I grinned. "Yes."

"What happened?" I knew what he was asking.

"I killed Prince Aldric." I explained and told him what happened afterwards. He was quiet for a moment before he moved his hand to the back of my neck to bring me closer to him. He winced when he felt a slight jab of pain from his movement.

"I'm happy you're alive." He whispered and moved to kiss my lips.

"I'm happy you're alive." I responded. He chuckled and kissed me again.

"I love you, little moon."

"I love you too." I kissed him on the lips.

" I kissed him on the lips