Chapter 15

Invictus

I try not to be upset with her. I know she was struggling but-god, does that woman drive me insane and at the same time she stirs a carnal desire inside of me that even scares the hell out of me. When I look at her, all I want to do was kiss her senseless.

I left her to go speak to my father and when I returned and she was nowhere in sight. I panicked. It was like my whole life flashed by me. I felt my hands becoming damp. My heart rate was beating through the roof.

When I found her, the relief that washed through me was overwhelming that I snapped at her. I didn't mean to but she drives me crazy. I was constantly afraid of losing her.

Shrugging on my jacket, I glanced over at Caden who was looking at me with an arch eyebrow.

"Are you sure you want to go with us on this hunt?" He asked.

"Why wouldn't I want to?" I replied. "I need to find him. It is the only way for me to be able to live without looking behind my back every two seconds to see if he will appear at any moment."

"But Dee is a newborn." Caden replied.

I paused for a moment in zipping up my jacket. My mind was temporarily flickering back to her crying. I could still hear her sobs. My heart still ached.

"I have to do this." I spoke quietly. "I need to protect her."

Marc sighed as he swung his jacket over his arms to wear. "This is why I don't want to find my mate."

It was always a topic we have always debated about. Before Deidre, I could see why I don't want to meet my mate. I did look for her but I never tried hard enough. A small part of me was ok with not finding her because I was afraid of what will happen to me if I was to lose her. Now that I have Deidre, all I could think about was protect her and what I thought was a good life was not so good after all. My world completely turned 180 degrees and I can't imagine my life without her.

"We are leaving." I ordered as I stalked towards the door.

Deidre

I wiped my tears and held my breath to stop my hiccups. Once I was done, I stood up and walked downstairs where I ran into Akoni. He looked at me with a sympathetic expression. I didn't want to see that look and so I turned and tried to walk away from him. He moved to grab a hold of my wrist to stop me from walking away.

"I'm sorry he is acting this way." Akoni said.

"You aren't the one who should be apologizing, Akoni." I responded, still not looking at him.

He sighed and moved to stand in front of me. He placed two hands on my shoulders. "Don't let this make you feel like you aren't special to him. You are the most important thing in his life."

"How would you know? You aren't him." I retorted. He moved to place two fingers under my chin and lifted my gaze up to meet his.

"You forget, he is my twin. I lived with him for so many years; I can read his emotions like anything. He isn't that hard to predict, even if he pretends he is." Akoni teased. "C'mon. While he is gone, I will give you a grand tour and at the same time start your training."

"Training?" I asked.

"Of course. Every lycan should know how to protect themselves. While I give you a tour, I will give you the Lycan 101 teaching." He continued as he wrapped an arm around shoulders and led me down.

We walked down the stairs. "Number one: newborn lycans are the strongest yet most unstable creatures."

"I don't feel unstable."