Straight

Andrews's POV

"Parsley, Rogers! Get your heads out of your asses and work together!" The thunderous voice of Coach Matthews roared from the sidelines during our Thursday afternoon practice. Sweat practically streamed down my face like a waterfall as I angrily bit down on my mouth guard.

It wasn't my fault Coach was yelling his balls off.

It wasn't my fault my team was drowning in pain because the other half knew what the term teamwork actually meant.

It wasn't my fault we weren't getting anything done and the first game of the season was tomorrow.

It was his fault. That sleeze bag of a boy that thought he needed the ball in his hands at all times.

It was his fault that I'd probably have to run laps after practice.

It was his fault that I was currently losing my voice and feeling in my body from trying to get my part of the team to roughen up, get something done at least.

It was his fault for being such an idiot!

"Rogers, fucking stop for a moment and be a god damn team player, would you?" I spat after releasing my mouth guard. "If you don't quit being a ball hog, Coach is going to have our heads!" All that smug asshole did was smirk and shrug his shoulders.

"I'm the best on this team and if you can't handle that, then leave. We certainly don't need you on this team." I narrowed my blue eyes at him, crossing my arms to keep from punching him in his helmeted face. I was God damn captain! I was the leader of this team, yet apparently some people didn't like that. I earned my position because I was good, and I actually knew what it meant to be apart of a team and to bust my tail off. Zachary Rogers knew nothing about teamwork, but he was better than me, I would have to begrudgingly admit, so that's why coach kept him around. We were seniors. This was our last year on the team, and before we got to highschool, our football team sucked major ass. That's why Coach Matthews wanted the best. If only he knew how hard it was to work with that pretty boy.

"I'd say otherwise, but I don't want to hurt your fragile feelings." I mocked, scrunching my face up to mimic a baby. Rogers just glared at me. Smirking at my slight win, I turned away from him and yelled at my team to get in formation.

"Alright, you pansies!" As I squat between two of my better players, the faint sound of girls cheering made its way into my ears, slightly fueling my need to at least get something done. That's why we had cheerleading practice at the same time as football practice, right? For the energy. "Let's get some work done!" A few of my boys cheered, while one scoffed under his breath. Ignoring Zachary, I stared down at the football, ready for another play.

I was the quarterback, not only for my speed but also my thin form. It made for an easier time getting through masses of bodies when trying to get a winning touchdown. "Blue 92... blue 92... hike!" The football flew into my hands and the countdown began.

One Mississippi...

There was one opening, over by Rodriguez, but then it closed off as Ashton blocked him from my view.

Two Mississippi...

Donalds was yelling at me to throw the ball at him, but he was running in too many directions to set a definite pinpoint on him; not to mention he was shit at catching anything remotely considered a ball.

Three Mississippi...

It looked like there was nobody, so I made a running start towards the end field, skipping past different players and running through openings between the crowds. The wind was blowing through my helmet, cooling my sweating face, and the sounds of my name dripping from the sweet lips of the few girls in the background calmed my pumping heart, causing me to go faster. All was well, I could see the end game, I could feel space between me and victory getting shorter and shorter, and I could almost taste freedom. I was almost there, until I wasn't anymore. I was suddenly sprawled out on the grassy field, the ball a mere foot away from my fingertips, and a body laying on top of mine.